• Help Support TNDeer:

3 months until a duodecennial….

I think, we just officially became a team. A fourth member was added today. He'd been considering it for the last month, or so, but threw his hat in today and joined our group text. I'm going to step aside and let him out himself, if he wishes. But, seeing that he specializes in geriatric nursing, he's got a lot to offer this old man. He wants to hunt with us to "learn" how the experts do it.
View attachment 234668
What?!!!!! You're not experts?!! Alas, I feel I have been mislead 🤣. In all seriousness, I've followed y'all's hunts that's have been posted on here. Seems like you have a pretty good handle on what's going. Heck, Tellico's been doing this since before I was born. "Old man", you're not fooling me! Someone stated above that ya'll would out walk anyone on this board. I hold that statement to be factual. Knowledge is power and any that I can gain only helps. Plus, I'm off work and in the woods! Wife is researching time machines to speed this up to get me the heck out of the house for a while. Should be a good time.

What?!!!!! You're not experts?!! Alas, I feel I have been mislead 🤣. In all seriousness, I've followed y'all's hunts that's have been posted on here. Seems like you have a pretty good handle on what's going. Heck, Tellico's been doing this since before I was born. "Old man", you're not fooling me! Someone stated above that ya'll would out walk anyone on this board. I hold that statement to be factual. Knowledge is power and any that I can gain only helps. Plus, I'm off work and in the woods! Wife is researching time machines to speed this up to get me the heck out of the house for a while. Should be a good time.
Welcome aboard, you'll either learn what to do, or what not to 🤣

Can outwalk you all day long on one of these, counting on AT to come through for me 😁

IMG_2756.JPG

Last edited:
Since my Tndeer besties are bullying me, I found a new one here in WY. He has been great and even converted me to a 6.5 creedmore flat bill bro!

You see, my wife drew a good pronghorn tag so he is letting us borrow it. It's nothing special but it is super heavy T/C compass and he hand loaded 129 grain bullets for it.
I took it to the range today, cold bore at 100yards. Very little recoil, should fit her well.
I'm eating crow for making fun of the 6.5 fan boys.
IMG_5960.webp

Took my bow with me, too.
55 yards and felt great, give me this all day long!
IMG_5961.webp

15 mins from the house and I have a great spot to shoot and lose arrows.
IMG_5963.webp

I stopped on my way home from a solo scouting trip. So, I still had my chest harness and decided to go ahead and shoot a clip through my 10mm. Glad I did, my rear sight is waaaay off! A bear would have had to be on top of me for me to hit him😱
IMG_5964.webp

Today was a road scouting trip for possible camp and access points. Spoke with some awesome forest rangers that gave me some maps. They didn't have much to say about elk other than they see their poop, lol. However, that's good in my book because they mainly stick to the improved roads and forest two tracks. So, since we are not road hunters I'm optimistic we will find them off trail and on foot.

Here is a glimpse of the terrain we will be hunting in the National Forest. Thick timber with some blow down.
IMG_3437.webp

After a long hot n dusty drive, I treated my daughter to a lunch. This bar was built in the 1860s, no telling the stories that bar could tell.
IMG_6132.webp

Here's my story. I'm cheap. If WY gives me a fishing license with my elk tag, I'm going to fish, at some point. So, I decided to fly up to NY and practice my trout fishing on the West Branch in Deposit. On the flight up, the guy who sat behind me and my buddy coughed the whole time. At one point, my buddy stood up to get a look at him. He sat back down and said "you'd better get a look yourself". I stood up and turned around, like I was stretching. Sitting behind us was 2 middle aged dudes, much like myself, wearing masks. Their eyes were sunk way back into their heads and they were hacking and coughing the whole trip. One of them even looked up at me with that "Help" expression on his face. I sat back down and mouthed the words "we're f'ed", he agreed. Needless to say, I've spent the last 10 days sprawled out on the couch in the screened porch. Whoever said this current version of covid is nothing but a bad cold, obviously has colds that are a lot worst than when I get them. It was worse than my first batch of covid. But, It's over and coffee tastes good again.

Here's a bad ass picture of me fishing in the morning fog.

Attachments

• DSCF0694..webp
    DSCF0694..webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 1
That is a sweet pic!

The clock is ticking. My focus from here on out as far as exercise goes is conditioning and just trying to maintain my strength. Once season hits there will be zero weight training so it will be inevitable that I'll loose muscle but that's what preseason training is for.

Rucking around the hood with a goal to gradually increase the weight in my pack is my focus as well. I'll even toss in some reverse rucking on the wifeys treadmill to make fulldraw happy.

We have narrowed down a base camp location. However, one of the "team" members just informed us he prefers a shady location with a running creek and clean poles for midget strippers. Back to square one on that.

Its like one step forward and two steps back with this group…

Old man has to have something to do when being the "camp dog".

At every hunting and fishing camp, there is always someone who stays behind to cook and watch over the camp, while the other hunters go out into the mtns, woods, bayous, and swamps in search of game. This person is called the "Camp Dog." He is often overlooked and rarely complimented for his hard work. Today we salute you, Mr. Camp Dog, Master of the Black Pot, Supervisor of the Onion Cutters and Potato Peelers, Guardian of the Natty Light Ice Chest, and # 1 Camp Fire Builder. You just keep on cooking and let us bring home the elk!

Oh, all the above while being the HGIC ( head guide in charge) and sharing his vast knowledge of the mighty wapiti.

Last edited:
Old man has to have something to do when being the "camp dog".

At every hunting and fishing camp, there is always someone who stays behind to cook and watch over the camp, while the other hunters go out into the mtns, woods, bayous, and swamps in search of game. This person is called the "Camp Dog." He is often overlooked and rarely complimented for his hard work. Today we salute you, Mr. Camp Dog, Master of the Black Pot, Supervisor of the Onion Cutters and Potato Peelers, Guardian of the Natty Light Ice Chest, and # 1 Camp Fire Builder. You just keep on cooking and let us bring home the elk!

Oh, all the above while being the HGIC ( head guide in charge) and sharing his vast knowledge of the mighty wapiti.
From what I've seen and heard all hands on deck for guiding. Your knowledgeable guide, AT, can find all species except the mighty wapiti. 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

What @fulldraw, formally known as my ex-bestie, is speaking of is my recent encounter with bullwinkle.
The family and I went on a nice little hike over the weekend and stumbled upon this dude.

Then back at the trailhead parking lot we discovered his brother from another mother 😱
IMG_6212.webp

16 days until opener! Not that I'm going to get to hunt but the time is near!

Got 2 new trail cameras I want to try out. El cheapo amazon $29, plans are to use them over bear bait stations this Spring so I ordered two to try out. I'll sneak out in the next week to hang them. If I can find a wallow that would be cool but I'm not intruding too much. I'll find some trails and hang them.
Also planning to speak with the biologist, he try's to hunt this unit and if he didn't draw a tag maybe he will be willing to dish out some extra info.

As mentioned earlier, I'm switching my focus to more endurance and muscle maintenance. Until my "team" gets here, I'll be doing a whole lot of wandering with bow in hand, so I want to ensure my endurance is up to par.

I tested it today, 100 burpees for time. 9:38 minutes, I actually impressed myself. Must be all the Moose Drool and bourbon I've been consuming 🤔

Now that I think about it, it's the creamie ice cream I've been making😅

Back