3 months until a duodecennial….

AT Hiker

Probably laced with liberalism now days. Might as well drop down across state line and pickup a sack of brownies. Make you feel better or don't care if your sick 😁
It's made from the cold Colorado rivers that are fed by melting snow flakes and their tears after seeing hunters packing out wild game from the high country.

AT Hiker

**excuse warning**

So, on June 5th when I thought I was fighting a bug…turns out I got bitten by the flu bug. I've had the flu twice in my adult life and each time has been in June. First time hiking the Appalachian Trail, thought it was tick fever and I was gonna die because I couldn't keep anything down and was severely dehydrated. Ended up being type B and they didn't vaccinate against it that year. This time was more respiratory, still recovering from it and it's been two weeks. Lost 10lbs, I'm guessing half was water weight and the majority of the other was valuable muscle.

Joined a new gym this Monday and I've been doing full body all week. I was stupid weak on Monday but I'm getting back into it pretty well. My lungs still aren't allowing me to do much conditioning but I'm pushing as much as I can. Really trying to focus on getting my strength back, takes forever to gain but seems you can loose it in an instant.

Yesterday I took my daughter and doggy back on the hike when I discovered I was sick. Did much better!

I'll spend the rest of this month trying to get my strength back, hopefully by July I'll be able to ramp up my conditioning. I'm also doing some accessory work on shoulders/rotator. Mainly just a lot of light weight volume on internal/external rotation. Gotta keep them healthy while shooting my bow daily.

My new gym also has 65lb gorilla skull to swing 😅
IMG_5628.jpeg

@fulldraw

"Buzzard Breath to the rescue!"

My new target came in today, I went from blowing through the target to barely getting the arrows out!

Too bad my 40 yard groups don't look like my 20 yards.
View attachment 231929
WTH! I thought I taught you better than that. Same dot at 20yds equals $$$. I know your wife is the breadwinner but she'll end your season quick if she keeps buying arrows. 😂😜

AT Hiker

WTH! I thought I taught you better than that. Same dot at 20yds equals $$$. I know your wife is the breadwinner but she'll end your season quick if she keeps buying arrows. 😂😜
I had to build some confidence!
Actually, I apparently started canting my bow. Only thing I can figure is I got a little weak when I was sick and my form just fell apart.
I was super close to calling you to talk me out of readjusting everything on this bow when it hit me that I wasn't paying attention to my level.
The further out I went, the more to the right my arrows would hit. Started paying attention to my level and my groups came back in.

Buzzard Breath

I think I've found the magic schedule. At least what works for me.
Monday - strength
Tuesday - run
Wednesday - off
Thursday - strength
Friday - run
Saturday/Sunday - hike/off, whichever days fit my wife's plans

Screenshot_20240624_174713_Connect.jpg

This heat is killing me. I'm running on the treadmill, in the garage, before daylight, with the doors open, and a fan blowing on me. I'm still covering the deck in sweat. It's going to be a long summer.

AT Hiker

Nephew is running the 100 this weekend in SD. He did a 50 in MN last month & came in 4th.

Total climb for the 100 miler is over 16k feet!
That's a lot of up n down for the black hills, sounds brutal yet epic!
Best of luck to him.

AT Hiker

I don't have a magic schedule like Buzzard just yet, actually don't have much of a schedule other than hitting the gym when I can and doing some moderate hiking with the family.
My gym time is very efficient though and I really feel like I'm almost back to normal on strength. Conditioning is still lacking but I'm very confident I'll fix that with time as it's progressing, just a little slower than I want it to.

I am focusing on protein intake and doing well with it. I believe this has helped tremendously with strength recovery. But I'll tell ya, trying to get in 150 grams of protein is tough. I'm back to 175lbs and honestly I'm forcing myself to eat the last 25-50 grams. Who knew eating healthy whole foods would fill you up 🙄

Earlier this week we got in some solid hiking. My daughter did a little over 12 miles total between the two days. One trip, her biggest yet, was 7.6 miles out n back with a tad over 1k feet elevation gain. The road to the trail head opened last week so we went up high, camped and went into the wilderness. Fished a lake at 10,000k.
IMG_5723.jpeg

Skeeters were brutal but the wind on the lake was enough to allow us to fish some and her to catch her first true mountain brookie.
IMG_5681.jpeg

A few snow drifts still up high. Doggy loves to stop and roll in it to cool off and ease the skeeter bites.
IMG_5668.jpeg

Buzzard introduced me to these ultra light backpacking chairs. Helinox chair zero. Pricey but by far worth every penny. Pro tip is to wait for REi to put out a coupon.
IMG_5670.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts