• Help Support TNDeer:

.223 for deer in Tn?

Actually, when they did a controlled type study years ago on a military base, they found the opposite. There was a much higher percentage of loss with firearms that with bows.

It doesn't seem possible until you think about idiots that won't even walk over after shooting a firearm if they don't see the deer drop in its tracks or show some visible sign of a hit. I have a friend that was guilty of that, and ended up recovering two deer for him that he was sure he had missed.
Years ago game warden here told me more were lost with muzzleloader than with other weapons. Really didn't surprise me.

22 lr is legal in NC. Zero rifle restrictions.
No restrictions on barrel length or caliber for handguns in NC either. (deer or bear).

A little more off topic: NC allows only .22 rimfire pistol (as well as archery equipment) to be used for dispatching a deer during archery season. That would be a nice option for TN.

I am sure I am going to take heat for saying this, but not a chance I would use a .223/5.56 for deer. I have a ton of experience with this round and have seen way to many 110 pound malnourished Al-Qaeda and ISIS fighters take multiple rounds and keep coming. And I am not talking about the green tip rounds either. Just my opinion though, other users experience may be different.
Yes I know that Rakkin6 . But that ISIS would not movie with Varmint round and neck shot

Last deer I shot was with a .223 Remington and a 55 grain soft point. Big doe, she ran about 25 feet after the shot and fell over dead as a door nail. It's actually the same one I have for sale in the classifieds.

Last edited:
Back