• Help Support TNDeer:

6.5 PRC

Small sample. 2 mature bucks. 1st one shot directly middle of the shoulder. Took off like nothing happened. Made it about 150 yards and was not slowing down and I made a lucky shot and hit him in the head.

2nd one shot little below mid shoulder. I was watching in binos and saw the red. Never found it.

I shot 7/08 for years and definately not used to that.
Did the ever open on the first deer. Second deer sounds like you hit too low, or the bullet penciled thru

I'm with you jlanecr500 I'm getting 2797 out of factory 143 eld-x's with 20 in with can. It's just a more efficient 30-06,308. I got mine after season last I'm ready to draw some blood with it

Did the ever open on the first deer. Second deer sounds like you hit too low, or the bullet penciled thru
First deer was like bullet went straight through. Lots blood. Not lots of damage. I can 100 percent tell u both deer shot with a 7/08 in same exact spots go down in 30 yards. Just my experience. Now granted both these deer were over 200 lb. These are just my experience. If it works for u awesome. Just didn't for me.

I'm not a small bore guy but I got roped into this 6.5 PRC thing last year. I got good accuracy from the 124 hammers but was dissatisfied with performance on game. I worked up a load with Berger 156gr EOL Classic Hunters and N565. I'm getting 2878 fps out of a 21" tube with can attached. I think of it as an ultra high bc 30-06. I'm anxious to see it's performance on deer.
I been well satisfied with my Browning Long Range Hunter 6.5 PRC with 1-7 twist shooting the Berger 156 EOL bullet with 59 grains of N565. We have crop damage tags on the farm and I have seen what this bullet will do, very satisfied with accuracy and performance.

Attachments

• IMG_0989.webp
    IMG_0989.webp
    45.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1688.webp
    IMG_1688.webp
    32.1 KB · Views: 1
I been well satisfied with my Browning Long Range Hunter 6.5 PRC with 1-7 twist shooting the Berger 156 EOL bullet with 59 grains of N565. We have crop damage tags on the farm and I have seen what this bullet will do, very satisfied with accuracy and performance.
I've read a few reports /watched tests in gel that claim that bullet doesn't expand well.
Looks as though your experience different

I've read a few reports /watched tests in gel that claim that bullet doesn't expand well.
Looks as though your experience different
A lot of folks get the 153.5gr target version which has a tiny hole in the nose. They don't open up as well as the 156gr version. I've read that some are drilling the hole larger in the 153.5gr target version to be used for hunting because the the 156gr hunting version is hard to find due to popularity.
I've killed some yotes and other legal game outside deer season and have observed good expansion.

First deer was like bullet went straight through. Lots blood. Not lots of damage. I can 100 percent tell u both deer shot with a 7/08 in same exact spots go down in 30 yards. Just my experience. Now granted both these deer were over 200 lb. These are just my experience. If it works for u awesome. Just didn't for me.
Same bullet? Or different bullets. I've never used a hammer bullet and probably never will.

Both were 124 hammer. That's what I was advised to use. Just didn't work well for me.

I'd use softer bullets

139 scenar
140 eldm
147 eldm
140 tipped game king

There's about 100 pages of critters stacked up from scenars on the campfire

If you want copper the 100 ttsx.

Latest posts

Back