• Help Support TNDeer:

Advantages/Disadvantages of Flurocarbon

TheDuke'sBack

And what brands are the best. Never used it but my big time tournament fishing uncle says thats all he uses so its got me thinking.

I don't tournament fish or anything, but I switched to PLine fluoro last summer, and I feel like it made a difference. Besides the "invisibility", I like that it doesn't stretch and I like the feeling I get from it. I doubt PLine is the best, but it's a value choice. I'm not spending $50+ on fishing line.

Make sure to get actual fluoro - not fluoro coated.

I don't care for it on spinning reels.

When you say you like the way it feels, are you feeling the fish strikes better, or feeling the lure off the bottom better? or both? Fluro sinks correct?

I was looking at the Pline fluro coated today at the store wondering what advantage it had over one or the other

fluoro is more brittle, and sinks. those can be pros or cons depending on your situation. it is more sensitive than mono, but not as much as braid.

interestingly enough, you will hear everybody tell you it doesn't stretch as much as mono, but the research does not bear out that conclusion. it stretches as much or more than mono.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbon2.html

The only time I don't use a flourocarbon leader is if I'm fishing with topwaters (because flouro sinks), frogs in thick grass, or using a fast moving bait like a crankbait if it's not in really clear water. Other than that, I always use it as a leader. You will absolutely get more fish to bite if you're using it, especially in clear water and when fishing a finesse lure that a fish may focus on and stare at for a bit deciding whether to eat it or not. You don't want those smarter fish being able to see the line.

If I'm fishing a pond with low visibility I won't worry about it on fast moving baits like a crankbait or a chatterbait. On a finesse worm I'd still use it though. It's definitely a case by case basis for me but it definitely is beneficial.

I'd say the only con is that it can be pricey for the good stuff. I like the Cabelas brand and Seagur Red Label.

smalljawbasser":3gw5r9i3 said:
fluoro is more brittle, and sinks. those can be pros or cons depending on your situation. it is more sensitive than mono, but not as much as braid.

interestingly enough, you will hear everybody tell you it doesn't stretch as much as mono, but the research does not bear out that conclusion. it stretches as much or more than mono.

I can't argue with their tests, but I know for a fact that if I put my fluoro in my hands and pull.. and then do the same with my mono... but mono feels like is stretches more. Call it whatever you'd like, but fluoro feels like it stretches less to me, and it is very evident when setting the hook. That could also be because my mono is some cheaper brand...

In clear, and pressured waters it definitely has its advantages as for the low visibility factor, because it absorbs light and not reflecting it like monofilamint. I think that it's just as stretchy as mono, some brands more than others. I've used 10 or so different kinds and so far mu favorite is Sunline Sniper FC. I use this line on crankbaits, and leaders for Texas and Carolina Rigging. Fluorocarbon sinks so if you're working a spook or popper slowly it negatively affects the action by pulling the nose down, or if you're using a buzzbait and wait a second or two to start cranking it pulls the buzz bait further below the surface more quickly and it takes longer to get it to the surface. Fluorocarbon is more brittle so be careful because a kink could easily turn into a breaking point. I f you do get a kink you might as well pull it off and retie to be safe.

Here's by list of lines I've used in order of how I like them.
Sunline Sniper FC
PLine Shinsei
Seaguar Invizx (I like this for spinning reels)
Bass Pro Fluorocarbon "Their stuff changes and I haven't bought any in 3-4 years"
Seaguar Red Label
PLine Halo "Less memory than Floroclear, but very brittle"
P-Line Floroclear "Not a fan, lots of memory and very brittle"

TNReb":btop50yf said:
smalljawbasser":btop50yf said:

I can't argue with their tests, but I know for a fact that if I put my fluoro in my hands and pull.. and then do the same with my mono... but mono feels like is stretches more. Call it whatever you'd like, but fluoro feels like it stretches less to me, and it is very evident when setting the hook. That could also be because my mono is some cheaper brand...

It seems to me that fluorocarbon doesn't spring back as much after its initially stretched. I have no evidence of that, but I read or heard somewhere to stretch it out good when you spooled it up. I do that a couple different ways, but the bottom line is it works as far as making it more manageable. That's my theory as to why fluorocarbon doesn't seem to stretch as much.

As far as your mono, the cheap stuff doesn't stretch any more tha anything else. You can check that site for mono test results. It's a pretty good resource.

MidTNKayakAngler":1ybtki4m said:
Bass Pro Fluorocarbon "Their stuff changes and I haven't bought any in 3-4 years"

Yes their stuff does change a lot. I used to love their braid but they "improved it" and now it's terrible. Less than a month on the rod and it became worn down and frayed really badly. Terrible product. Sometimes you need to just leave well enough alone. I've never used their flouro but I have heard good things about it.

Thanks fellas this is what I was looking for.

Regarding the Bass Pro brand, I talked to my Uncle again and he said thats the brand he uses. I believe him, He fishing large circuits, 80k+ phoenix boat, sponsored, ect. Money is no object to him when It comes to fishing equipment, so if hes using bass pro brand its not because its cheap, its because it works well enough to suit him.

He said if you haven't fished your rod in a few weeks or month to tie the end to a tree, stretch out about 20-30 yards and pull it tight. Reel it back up and go on your way.
Me and his son are fishing a tournament monday night and he was really stressing to switch to fluro. I guess ill be re spooling all my reels tonight.. :x

it can take some time getting used to. the knot you've tied for years in mono may fail in epic fashion with fluoro on hooksets. mine did. it wasn't my knot so much, it was how i tied it. tie a knot with fluoro and put it in your mouth while you cinch it and feel the heat that is generated. once i had some "seat time" with it, i learned what i had to do differently on my knot.

spool it up on a spinning reel like you do mono, and get ready for the worst tangled up mess you've ever seen. until you learn spool it, then take it to the lake and let it out behind the boat while you idle out and wind it back on with a lot of tension. (or the tree stretch technique your uncle talked about. that's what i've read KVD does with his also.)

i've used mono on drop baits (worms, jigs, etc) for 30 years. i watch my line. with fluoro sinking, you feel a lot better, but you don't see your line laying on the water on a slack line. it sinks and all you can see is the point closest to you that it enters the water.

it's definitely a valuable tool, and certainly has its place. but some people like it for things i could personally never adjust to using it for. kind of like braid. it just takes a little getting used to.

Latest posts

Back