• Help Support TNDeer:

New Record ?

Fantastic elk.

I don't like it when people stay so far back when taking pictures of deer, elk, fish, etc. Those antlers are huge but the forced perspective photo makes them look out-of-this-world.

Last edited:
I don't like it when people stay so far back when taking pictures of deer, elk, fish, etc. Those antlers are huge but the forced perspective photo makes them look out-of-this-world.
I hear you. I've been guilty of it with fish myself. But he's holding onto the antlers. I think in this case, it's just that big. I'm looking for more pics

Huge, those points that sweep back are pretty long and I don't think he is stretching much, I like a 1/4ing to me view for some better perspective., the neck roasts on that dude would probably be very tough to chew 🤣 , I'd like to have that problem lol.

I bet that reservation has produced a dozen 400" bulls in the last 15-20 years, it's unbelievable what reservations in AZ and NM can produce when managed with a goal like that in mind.
Managing for that ain't cheap either. Last I heard those hunts are knocking on $50k (mule deer and elk) Guess if you want a good chance at a free range world class elk you're forking over some serious coin.

I bet that reservation has produced a dozen 400" bulls in the last 15-20 years, it's unbelievable what reservations in AZ and NM can produce when managed with a goal like that in mind.
Managing for that ain't cheap either. Last I heard those hunts are knocking on $50k (mule deer and elk) Guess if you want a good chance at a free range world class elk you're forking over some serious coin.
Beautiful animal.

But you are off on price.

On that reservation, elk hunts are $25k. But that's for really nice 350 to 375 class animals

This elk was a 'scholarship' elk, and because they are so limited/ few, they go out to the highest bidder auction style. Min bid is 30k, but I suspect this elk was bid out at closer to 75k.

And that does not include mandatory guide fees.

Beautiful animal.

On that reservation, elk hunts are $25k. But that's for really nice 350 to 375 class animals

This elk was a 'scholarship' elk, and because they are so limited/ few, they go out to the highest bidder auction style. Min bid is 30k, but I suspect this elk was bid out at closer to 75k.

Pocket change!! I'll be signing up for next year! Why learn from some tndeer folks when I can buy this quality on my nursing salary! (Hope you know I'm messing with ya Meg).

Beautiful animal.

I saw where it was a Commissioners tag. If so, they sold 2, one for $501,000 and the other for $510,000. Then, they had to pay the reservation fee on top of that.

The guy who killed it owns Cactus Jack Ranch and their Instagram is where I got the info.

Does buying that bull diminish the accomplishment?
That depends on who you ask. Did he actually hunt the bull with the guides, or did they call him, he flew straight in, got behind the trigger, and squeezed. I haven't seen much info on this bull, so I don't really know.

Also, would it be an unfair advantage to be able to hunt this bull, or any bull, outside regular season with any rifle. The Commissioners tag is a 365 day tag and seasons don't apply.

Beautiful animal.

Now that I reread the Insta post, it could be the scholarship tag. They call it the Commissioners tag for the Hualapai.

The Spyder Bull, killed on public ground in UT back in 2008 is the most impressive at nearly 500" of bone. The outfitter (Mossback) had guides that watched him for a few years and when he got big enough, the outfitter sent clips of him to various folks to bid on. Best I recall a gunsmith paid $100K to outfitter for the "opportunity". Can't remember how he got the tag though, Doyle Moss could have finagled it someway I'm sure. No telling what that cost.

The Spyder Bull, killed on public ground in UT back in 2008 is the most impressive at nearly 500" of bone. The outfitter (Mossback) had guides that watched him for a few years and when he got big enough, the outfitter sent clips of him to various folks to bid on. Best I recall a gunsmith paid $100K to outfitter for the "opportunity". Can't remember how he got the tag though, Doyle Moss could have finagled it someway I'm sure. No telling what that cost.
That tag owner bought the governors tag at auction from the state (UT if I recall correctly). I think Mossback had 15 employees watching that bull and keeping up with his every movement until tag became valid and he was legal to kill

Bottom line... if you want to kill a bull over 330, you have to be a very good hunter DIY putting in years for tags on the cheap ( $2000- 4000), spend the bucks on an outfitter with moderate points ($7500 hunt), or hunt areas with low pressure and no points for big bucks ($10,000 to $50,000). Yes there is a 1<% chance a DIY hunter can draw a great tag in a trophy unit in some states.

If you want a great experience chasing rutting bulls on the cheap (relatively), I'd recommend Argentina. I had the time of my life down there back in 2004.

Latest posts

Back