• Help Support TNDeer:

Another interesting catch

TRIGGER

I have caught an owl when it came down and took my frog off the water but I saw that one happen. This time I was throwing a jerk bait that runs 3-5' when I got a bite. Obviously didn't feel like a bass but you can imagine my surprise when I reeled this dude in. Didn't have a clue he was anywhere around. Had the front treble hook in his mouth. He was not happy about being handled. Tried to bite me with a mouth full of hooks lol. Got the hooks out with as little damage as possible. I think this little grebes will be just fine.
The blood was from him but it wasn't much.

Wow! Never heard of that!

But I've also hooked into some big owls going for my top-water lures on Reelfoot ---- just never successfully landed one! :tu:
The big owls used to really "like" a white & black Devil's Horse ;)

Had a big cottonmouth "like" it once as well ---- just cut the line on that one, and let him keep my Devil's Horse.

TheLBLman":18w2xtku said:
Wow! Never heard of that!

But I've also hooked into some big owls going for my top-water lures on Reelfoot ---- just never successfully landed one! :tu:
The big owls used to really "like" a white & black Devil's Horse ;)

Had a big cottonmouth "like" it once as well ---- just cut the line on that one, and let him keep my Devil's Horse.

The owl I caught never got a hook in him he just never let go of the frog as I reeled him in out of the sky. When he hit the water he got tangled in the line flapping his wings. I pulled him to the boat got him in tangled and took this pic. He jumped back in and swim to the bank to dry off.

Caught an owl one time fly fishing. First and only air fight I've ever had. Several times I've intentionally cast over a snake and reeled back in hooking him. Interesting but not worth the mess. Generally they start rolling and almost reel themselves in making for a tangled mess.

:shock:
Mike Belt":3qbtcaoq said:
Several times I've intentionally cast over a snake and reeled back in hooking him.
Mike, you ain't right.

Mike Belt":3qbtcaoq said:
Interesting but not worth the mess.
The "mess" would be in my pants.

Can't imagine "intentionally" wanting to hook a big cottonmouth :cry:
The one time I did it unintentionally cause he grabbed my Devil's Horse, I simply cut the line, and may still have had a mess.

Maybe I'm "not right" either but I despise those big cottonmouths
and do have a healthy respect for them ---- don't want them in my boat, under or near my feet either!

But now, fly fishing for Great Horned Owl might be lots of fun :tu:

Latest posts

Back