• Help Support TNDeer:

Ky juvi hunt...

I heard 4-6 shots this morning where I am. That's a low number imo. Once I got back to the truck after the morning hunt my dad made mention that he guesses kids just don't hunt like they used to. I'm not really sure what the answer is. I have a few friends that take their kids hunting. I take my nephews every chance I get. A friend of mine here local puts on a gold star hunt for kids of military parents. Pretty sure they had 20+ kids to hunt today. Overall, maybe there's less kids hunting, maybe there's less people overall hunting? Opening day of KY rifle I always keep up with how many shots I hear before 8am. I know it's not near as many as I used to.

As far as the juvi hunt goes, I think this is a terrible date to have it. Have said it for years. Every now and then we'll get a good cold snap and it was nice this morning, 56 here. But it's usually always in the 80's for the afternoons. I wish the juvi weekend would get moved to the first weekend of Nov. It'll be cooler, deer are starting to chase and the kids would have a far better chance of seeing deer. I remember as a kid in the 90's having frost on the ground during the juvi weekends some. My first buck I ever killed my dad rattled up on a cold morning. Haven't had those temps in a decade or more for the juvi weekend.

The percentage of adults who hunt nationwide is now about 5% & has been dropping for the last several years. Even when I was starting to hunt, that percentage was well in the double digits. The percentage of kids that hunt nationwide is even smaller. As hunters, we will have to figure out a way to accommodate kids or the sport of hunting will die out. But that's not gonna happen because some hunters aren't willing to share. Just propose moving youth season into early November & you will have bow hunters all over you in no time. I used to bow hunt & now crossbow hunt so I get the impact doing this would have. There are many competing interests for kids' time these days. I have an 11 yr old granddaughter, Emma. She plays traveling soccer & is on the cheerleading team. She has been asked to be on the academic team. Each one of these teams has practice a couple times a week. Her mom works 40 hrs/wk & her dad works 70 hrs/wk. Neither of them hunt. Even if Emma wanted to go hunting, she would have a difficult time getting to do so. Last year, I had plans to take her hunted Early Youth Season. The night before, her dad (my son) called & said she had a pop up soccer tournament in Evansville, IN. There went our hunting weekend. Getting kids involved in hunting is difficult under ordinary circumstances. With opposition from any hunting group, for any reason, it is nearly impossible.

The percentage of adults who hunt nationwide is now about 5% & has been dropping for the last several years. Even when I was starting to hunt, that percentage was well in the double digits. The percentage of kids that hunt nationwide is even smaller. As hunters, we will have to figure out a way to accommodate kids or the sport of hunting will die out. But that's not gonna happen because some hunters aren't willing to share. Just propose moving youth season into early November & you will have bow hunters all over you in no time. I used to bow hunt & now crossbow hunt so I get the impact doing this would have. There are many competing interests for kids' time these days. I have an 11 yr old granddaughter, Emma. She plays traveling soccer & is on the cheerleading team. She has been asked to be on the academic team. Each one of these teams has practice a couple times a week. Her mom works 40 hrs/wk & her dad works 70 hrs/wk. Neither of them hunt. Even if Emma wanted to go hunting, she would have a difficult time getting to do so. Last year, I had plans to take her hunted Early Youth Season. The night before, her dad (my son) called & said she had a pop up soccer tournament in Evansville, IN. There went our hunting weekend. Getting kids involved in hunting is difficult under ordinary circumstances. With opposition from any hunting group, for any reason, it is nearly impossible.
I agree with you on kids having other obligations with sports, etc. Heck nowadays kids sports are almost year round. They even have travel T-ball for crying out loud. Lol. It's crazy.

As far as the bow hunters getting upset moving the season then they/we could get over it. Archery is open this weekend during the youth hunt just like it would be if it was moved for a much better weather weekend in Nov. A kid sitting in 85 degree weather like today and not seeing anything will turn them off quick. Anyone I've ever invited to come in for the youth hunt I always tell them that I've seen good deer movement at times but I've seen it absolutely terrible too because of hot weather. It's so hit or miss.

Latest posts

Back