• Help Support TNDeer:

Maybe I am just getting old and cantankerous

Bushape

but how is it the state can force processors to demand your harvest number prior to them accepting your kill? If you want to enforce laws and issue citations for illegal activity then get out and track down folks doing wrong. It just seems wrong to threaten independently owned businesses with fines if they accept a deer that was taken illegally. Why should the processor care??? Sorry guys, I guess I've just about had my fill with our govt. If there are legit good reasons why this is done I'd be interested in hearing what they are.

Processors and taxidermist have that obligation up front and in the end it protects them from someone bringing in an illegal deer. The hunter provides a conf tag and if they don't then they don't get to drop the deer off. My uncle is a taxidermist. He had a TN deer come in several years ago that had a legal confirmation number, etc. He had no reason not to take it in. Some time later the guy who killed the deer was investigated and turns out he shot it in KY and checked it in TN. We are right on the TN/KY line so this stuff happens quite a bit. They came and confiscated the deer but my uncle had a TN conf tag and was not in the wrong and not given a ticket or anything.

If a conf number wasn't required a lot of these deer that never get checked in and skinned out at someone's house would end up at a processor.

Latest posts

Back