• Help Support TNDeer:

Anyone Ever Fish For Gar?

Mike Belt

They are fun to catch and they'll bite almost anything but are partial to the color red. I used to float a bait into a pool of them and wait for my float to go under. Count to 3 and set the hook. The last time I fished Cold Creek it looked like the lake side was over run with them but I wasn't fishing for gar. I may have to try them out a little later.

I have caught a few but never went just to catch them. seen folks using some type of yarn or cloth to catch them,it gets caught in the teeth very easy.

You can go about 100yrds out into the shoot from the creek at cold creek and drop anchor. Drob dead minnows to the bottom and hang on. We've done this many times and caught gar for hours. Really fun on crappie poles.

I've never went specifically for them but have ended up fishing for them several times, fun to catch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sawgrass joint in Broward County FL. Plenty of gar there. Caught one that was my largest fresh water fish for years-well over 15 pounds. Nasty slimy stinky things. They could really tear up a lure.

Hung one Saturday at Lick Creek, KY Lake. Had him on a rattle trap for about 10 seconds. He did a double gainer and spit out the trap. Estimated at 45+ inches long. Don't know what I would have done with him if I had gotten him in. Sure made my heart beat fast for a few seconds!!!

Back in the 70s we lived in Louisiana and used a hawian wiggler buzz bait with fishing line wodded up on the back of it, throw over their back they strike teeth get tangled up the fight was on!! :tu:

TX300mag":cfy9415t said:
I don't fish for them, but I'm one of the few I bet that doesn't throw them back. I like to eat them.

Is it true the spinal cord is poisonous?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back