• Help Support TNDeer:

Anyone ever long line troll for Crappie ?

Big Ben

I had some luck on a private 40 acre lake that has since been put under a second lock and key. Guy lease's the area around it put up second gate and we can't catch up with him to get keys. He only leased the hunting rights for deer and turkey but not the fishing rights. But thinks he owns the entire place.This time of year we could long line twister jigs and do well. By long line I am talking a minimum of 75 yards behind the boat out to 100 yards. Thinking of giving it a try here on the big lake but would have to contend with all the bass boat run and guy type and the sightseers on their pontoon boats that think nothing of cutting in close behind you and with that much line out it is a automatic lure loss. We watch a couple guys trying on Friday and all they did was cuss those boats that cut their lines. Even had a couple guys trying to spider rig with about a dozen long poles and even they were having trouble from other boats. Very tempted to rig up a couple rods with wire line and hope they get it tangle in their prop. Do you think they may get a hint ? Lake law says when passing another boat engaged in fishing you are to do so at no wake speed and as wide a berth as possable

I do it quite often.
Usually with 10 rods unless I am by myself or the action is hot and I can't keep up with 10 rods. I have my Wareagle set up and my tritoon!! I really enjoy pulling off the tritoon, the comfort is second to none!!
About the only method I have not done when it comes to crappie fishing is pushing jigs/cranks but that is my plan for this weekend :)

pushing cranks? is that like spider rigging from the front but with cranks? seems counter productive, unless you use like 20ft rods and real heavy sinkers.

WTM":uchqq0bb said:
pushing cranks? is that like spider rigging from the front but with cranks? seems counter productive, unless you use like 20ft rods and real heavy sinkers.
4oz sinker and it works fine

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

I longline here in East TN all the time as well as spider rig. Cranks are usually preferred to jogs this time of year for depth and to draw the reaction but. Happy to answer any questions. Boat traffic is tough this time of year. Best time is early morning and weekdays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was a youngster trolling was about the only way I think my dad could get any peace and quiet with two boys fishing. We would catch crappie on those small abu (he called them) plugs and at the same time see just about every part of Old Hickory lake. The crappie were thin lipped so sometimes the hook would pull through the lip and barely be holding on. It wasn't always easy to detect a strike with them either as I recall. Sometimes we would reel in to try another spot and have one on the line skimming along the surface attached and we were totally oblivious that we had a fish. It was a crappie of course. Best memories of my young life.

Latest posts

Back