Are any of you hunting LBL this Season ?

THEdonkey0515

I would say that within an hour, I could show you hogs. I have hunted a spot dead in middle of Area 15, long walk no matter where you park. Used to walk in and the area was covered in deer sign. Tracks, trails, rubs, scrapes, so much sign even a blind man could have seen it, and jumped deer every single time I walked in to it. Killed a couple good ones in there. Last 3 times, no deer sign, none. Hogs everywhere, saw them walking in and out and especially all over the area I hunted.
I'm sure they are lots of Hogs at LBL, I've personally just never had a issue with them or seen one. I have been every year for atleast a weekend since 2011. I was still seeing as many deer/deer sign in 2023 as I was over a decade ago. I was lucky enough to get my 8th in that time frame, and help my pops drag out his 5th since we made it a yearly trip in 2011.

Last edited:

gladesman60

I'm sure they are lots of Hogs at LBL, I've personally just never had a issue with them or seen one. I have been every year for atleast a weekend since 2011. I was still seeing as many deer/deer sign in 2023 as I was over a decade ago. I was lucky enough to get my 8th in that time frame, and help my pops drag out his 5th since we made it a yearly trip in 2011.
You can bet there are a ton of hogs in LBL. Had 15 in a pack come by me this past deer season and a pack go by me during turkey 2023. All on Kentucky side Everywhere I went in there scouting this past season was covered up with rooting, wallows and tracks. Attached is a pic of a giant hog wallow.

Attachments

• 20231118_130410.jpg
    20231118_130410.jpg
    893.6 KB · Views: 15

Headhunter

You can bet there are a ton of hogs in LBL. Had 15 in a pack come by me this past deer season and a pack go by me during turkey 2023. All on Kentucky side Everywhere I went in there scouting this past season was covered up with rooting, wallows and tracks. Attached is a pic of a giant hog wallow.
Tennessee side is loaded also. Area 15 for sure.

rickyk280

Not a very good pic, this was between Golden Pond and just before you get to Barkley lake on the right going east. It was getting pretty dark I turned around zoomed in on my phone that glare is my headlights. These aren't a 1000 yds from were I was born and raised there. I am not far from KY lake on the west side it won't be long they will be here.

Attachments

• IMG_5584.JPG
    IMG_5584.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 15

Headhunter

Trying to keep everyone out of area 15 it sounds like haha
I wish that was true. I would not be above that. One of my favorite places I have ever hunted. Last time I was there, a late October gun hunt, all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning. Allowed 2 deer, 2 does or a doe and a buck, I saw close so many hogs I could not count all of them, I never saw a deer and the most amazing thing was I never heard a shot, not one. I camped in the woods so I was there all the time, never heard one shot.

I will most likely put in and go back, I know they had at least one good weekend last year and there are for sure great bucks there, but the last couple trips have been tough for me. Love the area and just being there, but seeing so many hogs sure was not good.

gladesman60

Only proper way to control them is to trap them. They need to send a team in there to set up pens to trap all they can.
True but it wouldn't hurt to let hunters kill some. A month or so after deer season they will be right back to their normal routine. They can trap all they want then and through summer.

killingtime 41

Pigs are smarter than you think. They will avoid traps all together if they sense danger. And they reproduce many times a year having 20 babies or more at a time. It has to be a combination trap and hunt mother method by itself will get rid of them. Probably no method will get rid of them. But the combined method will at least put a big dent in them. Better than what you have now.

rem270

True but it wouldn't hurt to let hunters kill some. A month or so after deer season they will be right back to their normal routine. They can trap all they want then and through summer.
Oh yeah I was in no way saying they shouldn't be hunted. I say do whatever it takes. But the most effective method is trapping them. But they are taking zero measures to eradicate them.

Latest posts