• Help Support TNDeer:

Baiting Bill HB1618/SB1942

Should baiting be allowed on private land?

• Yes

Votes: 181 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 204 44.5%
  • Don't care

Votes: 73 15.9%

• Total voters
As for the horses and cows comment....our vet took a horse we owned off any feed that contained corn because of the potential of mold and given the digestive issues the horse was dealing with...switched to rolled oats and the issues improved....plenty of real world examples and published material for those who want to learn about whats best for wildlife.
My dad raised horses for years and there used to be horses quality corn that was supposed to be alflaxion free. Horses are supposed to be super sensitive to it as in a little will kill a horse.

My dad raised horses for years and there used to be horses quality corn that was supposed to be alflaxion free. Horses are supposed to be super sensitive to it as in a little will kill a horse.
Yeah...the particular horse we had was experiencing some issues and the vet reviewed our feed and thats when I got educated on the risk of contaminated corn and how there is certified and non-certified, etc...Even in Texas where they are much more arid and dry they require land mangers to use certified alfatoxin free feed...but it wasnt until many years later that I learned how deadly aflatoxins were to poults...and poults have enough challenges going against them...we shouldn't add to that list of challenges.

Sugar is "food".
But we don't want our kids just eating candy.
Corn is sugar.

Show me one child who has died from eating candy, yet we know too much sugar harms health.
But wet corn can develop a poison (aflatoxin), not just a case of sugar.
None of us would feed our children rotten food, which is exactly what aflatoxin corn is, i.e. rotten, molded, poison.

Aflatoxin poisoning usually doesn't kill deer, just makes them less healthy and sometimes very sick. That in turn makes them weaker, and more susceptible to being caught by predators. This is particularly the case with buck fawns. You just never personally see it, but the losses from feeding corn (in a pile or from a feeder) often exceed the benefits. It is a very different situation with a field of corn vs. a pile of corn.

But aflatoxin poisoning is mainly a killer of birds, all birds that eat it. I believe it has been a significant driver of periodic low turkey populations, as well as the near extinction of bobwhite quail. Corn in a pile is candy to birds. When it develops aflatoxin, the birds still eat it (although deer may not). Birds then fly or walk off to die no where near the corn pile, so those pouring out the corn rarely are aware of the dangers of aflatoxin (nor do most seem to even care).
They don't care is the answer

has there population been wiped out to nonexistent!!!!!! dont think so.
Have you not seen first hand the turkey population? Maybe go do some research. Instead of putting 10 exclamation marks after each thing you type.

Noone is stopping you from baiting, you just legally can't hunt over it. As crazy as some of yal are fighting on this thread about it. I would be willing to bet some of yal already do. When we go down to a 1 bird turkey limit in the future you have no reason to be upset.

you are correct. you have no argument!!!! thanks for proving my point!!!

No argument here. It's already been settled. TWRA did what myself and according to the poll most other hunters wanted, which is keep baiting illegal in TN. All that's left now is the crying, and yall are doing plenty of that. Not me. I'm thrilled with the ruling.

I'm still waiting for someone to show me one. I'm glad some of you guys believe studies with no proof of a deer ever dieing from it. Lol. I'm not googling tree huggers websites with all these opinions and no proof. This same corn gets fed to chickens, cows, pigs, you name it.
True but if it gets moldy nobody would feed it to their livestock. Not if they have a brain.

Hate it.

Learn to hunt.
IMG_0530.webp

On the discussion of Alfatoxin corn, it just doesn't happen only in bagged corn. Corn in the field/food plot can have alfatoxin as well.

I had a farmer buddy that had his corn refused at the grainery for a high aflatoxin level. Some percentage is allowed. It was a small field so he ended up bush hogging it down. Deer loved it.

Have you not seen first hand the turkey population? Maybe go do some research. Instead of putting 10 exclamation marks after each thing you type.

Noone is stopping you from baiting, you just legally can't hunt over it. As crazy as some of yal are fighting on this thread about it. I would be willing to bet some of yal already do. When we go down to a 1 bird turkey limit in the future you have no reason to be upset.
We should already be at 1 bird! Ban decoys and tents blinds as well.

Latest posts

Back