• Help Support TNDeer:

Baiting Bill HB1618/SB1942

Should baiting be allowed on private land?

• Yes

Votes: 181 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 204 44.5%
  • Don't care

Votes: 73 15.9%

• Total voters
Another consequence of baiting is back injuries from carrying multiple #50 bags of "Golden Akerns". Due to the illegality, many cases go unreported.

One "hunter" tumbled 200 feet down a ridge when he lost his balance and refused to drop his bag of corn, resulting in a lengthy hospital stay. Back page news these days, but talk about repercussions!

Film at 11…….

Screenshot_20240730-104951_Samsung Internet.webp

Another consequence of baiting is back injuries from carrying multiple #50 bags of "Golden Akerns". Due to the illegality, many cases go unreported.

One "hunter" tumbled 200 feet down a ridge when he lost his balance and refused to drop his bag of corn, resulting in a lengthy hospital stay. Back page news these days, but talk about repercussions!

Film at 11…….
Back in my high school days in NC, we had a "guard donkey" with our herd of goats to protect them from dogs and coyotes. My dad bought him from the Amish and he was broke to ride and pull a cart. During deer season, I'd put two bags of corn on his back and lead him down to where my tree stand was. Saved my back!!!!😂😂

After 7 pages its clear everyone has pretty much made up their mind and I'm amazed at how many people believe there is absolutely no difference in a bait pile and a food plot. Food plots done correctly can add diversity to a property, improve nesting cover, improve fawning ground and improve soil quality.
A corn pile does nothing to help wildlife, zero...keep feeding coons and do nothing to improve turkey nesting habitat...that will help turkey numbers...and for those who dont believe aflatoxin is real...ask why does Texas requires certified aflatoxin free corn? In addition, deer eating too much corn too fast is not healthy...its not healthy for any animal. Ten minutes of research will show those who want to learn...the negatives of bait piles far outweigh any positives.

There is a difference in managing habitat for all wildlife and doing whats best for the deer and turkey....verses serving our own singular interest of killing a deer or turkey....there are givers and there are takers.

And as for the repeated theme of the "haves and the have nots"....if you can afford to buy bags of "deer corn" from walmart or TSC then you can afford a gallon of chainsaw gas.
Work on some habitat improvements...Work on improving fawning cover...Work on turkey nesting and brooding cover...Work on simple throw and mow plots to help deer through late winter after the season is over.

To improve the habitat takes some work but the return on investment is much greater than what you'll get from a truck load of corn.
I read an article not long ago that said hunting food plots is no more ethical than hunting over bait, (the authors opinion) . One thing for sure, baiting is a great way to get hunters to quarrel among themselves.. With CWD transmission being the way it is,, i really don't think its a good idea. Otherwise, i don't think it will have any impact on deer numbers. Tn has been trying to get harvest numbers up for years & nothing has worked.. It will take some kind of calamity to get the numbers up... The young folks just don't want to hunt like we did 50yrs ago!.

If they're not specifically excluded, TWRA and the commission cannot go against state law. Can they enforce federal regulations to the contrary? Not likely.

The question is will the feds permit states that allow or even encourage baiting for migratory gamebirds to have a season. With the current administration, I have doubts. Why would they? Harvest models are built around the current frameworks and baiting for ducks and doves isn't part of i

I'm sure the increased use of corn feeding/baiting is just one of many factors.
But it is a factor, and a factor we have a choice to either increase its detriments,
or reduce those detriments.

It is noteworthy that the decline in bobwhite quail has coincided with the rise in deer feeders doting the landscape.

If a single kernel of aflatoxin corn can kill an adult turkey, would presume even a tiny speck of cracked corn could kill a much smaller bird? Perhaps the increased use of "feeders" everyone is also a contributing factor in the decline of songbirds?

In my youth, not only were quail abundant, but we also had more songbirds, and spring, summer, and fall air was more full of their pleasant sounds. How many people on this site now have never heard the song of a meadowlark? The meadowlark's disappearance has been right along with the bobwhite quail's.

After clicking, scroll down to hear the sounds . . . . . .
i don't think decline in bobwhite quail has anything to do with deer feeders.. Here, quail numbers began dropping off seriously back in the early 70's when deer hunting was more or less an exotic endeavor. Quail are gone because of habitat loss,, houses are now everywhere,, there just plain no place for them to flourish. The large tracts of land have been broken up in to numerous small plots that are developed in one way or another.. I seriously noticed grouse completely disappeared as turkey numbers grew.. Quail being gone is a land use issue,, not anything to do with a feeder.. at least not here in Hawkins county. Stocking of coyotes many years ago has not helped either.

i don't think decline in bobwhite quail has anything to do with deer feeders.. Here, quail numbers began dropping off seriously back in the early 70's when deer hunting was more or less an exotic endeavor. Quail are gone because of habitat loss,, houses are now everywhere,, there just plain no place for them to flourish. The large tracts of land have been broken up in to numerous small plots that are developed in one way or another.. I seriously noticed grouse completely disappeared as turkey numbers grew.. Quail being gone is a land use issue,, not anything to do with a feeder.. at least not here in Hawkins county. Stocking of coyotes many years ago has not helped either.
Planting fields fence row to fence row has hurt the quail population as much as subdivisions. Still habitat loss, and it's from the change in farming practices where every inch that can be planted will be planted to maximize income as much as possible. I don't blame folks for trying to get as much return as they can, but it still contributes to the loss of habitat for quail and other species.

If you are speaking of the illegal translocation of coyotes by some fox hunters many years ago to train their dogs on, I guess that could be considered stocking (although 100% illegal).

Otherwise, there has never been a legal stocking of coyotes in TN.

If you are speaking of the illegal translocation of coyotes by some fox hunters many years ago to train their dogs on, I guess that could be considered stocking (although 100% illegal).

Otherwise, there has never been a legal stocking of coyotes in TN.
guilty dog always bark's first!!!! sounds like TWRA KNEW about coyote stocking and did nothing!!!!! OTHERWISE??? now we dont need a cwd zone anymore!!! prob because we dont have to wear masks anymore because of covid!!! im thankful its over!!

There isn't any.
I own land. But nothing like going back 100 years to just property owners vote. You're an idiot.
might be but I do own land and should have a say in the vote!!! if you dont im sorry!!! i love all this kindergarten name calling also!! JEALOUS MUCH???????

Latest posts

Back