• Help Support TNDeer:

Baiting Bill HB1618/SB1942

Should baiting be allowed on private land?

• Yes

Votes: 181 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 204 44.5%
  • Don't care

Votes: 73 15.9%

• Total voters
You own the property, you do not own the wild animals on your property. That is where your argument becomes invalid.
True, but there are many instances that a judge will rule differently if it is proven that damage was being caused and the state (wildlife agency did nothing to help alleviate the problem), the landowner has the right to protect his property and crops pretty much no matter the law.

True, but there are many instances that a judge will rule differently if it is proven that damage was being caused and the state (wildlife agency did nothing to help alleviate the problem), the landowner has the right to protect his property and crops pretty much no matter the law.
Correct, that has nothing to do with the conversation though.

Correct, that has nothing to do with the conversation though.
Exactly.
Main conversation has been concerning killing deer over bait, instead of otherwise hunting them.

Property damages caused by wildlife is an entirely different conversation.

That said, some crooked judges have been known to "side" with some poachers and other thieves.

I cant....but I care about whats best for deer and other wildlife. Aflatoxins are deadly to poults and other song birds and some studys even show lower average birth rates from mama does that eat a steady diet of aflatoxin tainted corn...show me one deer that benifits from eating toxic food? Point being there are so many other healthy options to actually help wildlife...but they require more effort than opening a bag.
Who cares how much effort it takes? People go thru a lot of effort to commit crimes everyday but they are still in the wrong. The guys with all the land, money and power get to tell us otherwise though, that it takes hard work and some money to plant a field of corn and then cut it right around gun season and sit over it with a rifle that can shoot a mile while they sit in their climate controlled box blinds. Yea, that's such a challenge. Give me a break...

Personally I HATE the idea. I have enough people all around me baiting while it is not legal. If it were to pass, I would not.
My understanding of baiting is :
Baiting can also have negative effects, such as increasing the spread of disease among deer. For example, baiting can cause deer to come into close contact with each other, which can accelerate the transmission of chronic wasting disease and bovine tuberculosis. Additionally, if you rapidly change the food source, the microbes in the deer's digestive system may not have time to adjust, which can be harmful to the herd.

Obviously baiting isn't going to stop; there's always those who will disregard any notices or laws no matter what. However, they should at least be more cautious as to how they bait… example: instead of placing bait straight on ground, place on dead stumps or create a feeder that doesn't allow bait droppings. Same goes for salt licks.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

Something that I haven't heard TWRA talk about is maybe hold mandatary hunting classes about the CWD issue to help educate those who doesn't bother reading up or self educate themselves on responsible baiting.

I'm not a fan of baiting to "shoot" wildlife over, period. No discussion needed, no amount of persuading or any other BS will change my view point. Go into their living room (woods, thickets, forests, etc), put the boot leather down, read the sign that you find, make a plan, hunt and let the chips fall where they may. Sometimes you are the bug, sometimes you are the windshield. That's why it is called hunting, not shooting. Enjoy the challenge that is before you!

I'm not a fan of baiting to "shoot" wildlife over, period. No discussion needed, no amount of persuading or any other BS will change my view point. Go into their living room (woods, thickets, forests, etc), put the boot leather down, read the sign that you find, make a plan, hunt and let the chips fall where they may. Sometimes you are the bug, sometimes you are the windshield. That's why it is called hunting, not shooting. Enjoy the challenge that is before you!
I agree^^^ But I also think food plotting could be considered baiting.

But I also think food plotting could be considered baiting.
I can understand why some initially might think food plotting is baiting.
But there are significant differences between outright "feeding/baiting" and food plotting.
IMO, they should never be viewed the same.

As with most issues of life, it boils down to where you're willing to draw your lines.
We can make excuses to justify just about any and all behavior.

Who cares how much effort it takes? People go thru a lot of effort to commit crimes everyday but they are still in the wrong.
The effort I'm talking about is to use a chainsaw to open canopy, improve habitat, improve nesting and fawning ground, improve forage, etc...not difficult...but it does require more thought and effort than dumping out a bag of corn and the long term effect is much more benifical to all wildlife than baiting to shoot over.
Also...doing what's right for all wildlife isn't dependent on the amount of land someone owns nor does it have anything to do with climate controlled box blinds?

Not saying your right or wrong but I've done both, wasn't my thing, but people will argue that a half acre or less kill plot isn't baiting. Sure felt the same to me.
My little plots are just that, kill plots. The only reason they are there is to draw in deer to kill them so they are legal baiting in my opinion. Right or wrong is up to every individual, im there to kill deer so it works for me😁 just being honest

Last edited:
The effort I'm talking about is to use a chainsaw to open canopy, improve habitat, improve nesting and fawning ground, improve forage, etc...not difficult...but it does require more thought and effort than dumping out a bag of corn and the long term effect is much more benifical to all wildlife than baiting to shoot over.
Also...doing what's right for all wildlife isn't dependent on the amount of land someone owns nor does it have anything to do with climate controlled box blinds?
I am not saying it doesn't take more effort in the process of producing the food or isn't better for wildlife in the long run. I am just trying to say technically you are luring a deer with food so that is fundamentally baiting.

I am not saying it doesn't take more effort in the process of producing the food or isn't better for wildlife in the long run. I am just trying to say technically you are luring a deer with food so that is fundamentally baiting.
I do not consider opening the canopy to improve natural forage and cover baiting.
I'll also hunt a stand of whiteoaks dropping acorns (food) and I dont consider it baiting either.
What I dont like about baiting with corn is that it can have negative effects propping up nest raider populations and aflatoxins are deadly to poults...also its of little to no benifit to deer period....working on the habitat, when dont correctly, only helps wildlife.

I rarely hunt my food plots, my intensions for planting them are to provide a late season food source and they don't get hammered until after season is closed, and when they do it is mostly at night. They provide nutrients when most other food is scarce. They use them heavy until green up. That is the huge difference in baiting and food plots.

Exactly.
Main conversation has been concerning killing deer over bait, instead of otherwise hunting them.

Property damages caused by wildlife is an entirely different conversation.

That said, some crooked judges have been known to "side" with some poachers and other thieves.
Judges also have been known to put law enforcement in their place, especially the TWRA and some of the idiotic laws they have.

Several laws the TWRA has are there not to be enforced all the time, but only when the TWRA thinks they can make it harder on someone. SAD! Either enforce the law or don't have it. Yes some upper law enforcement of the TWRA have admitted to that.

And if it is an illegal alien, they can do most anything they want. I don't care if the judges don't back up the TWRA. They should still do their best to enforce laws on illegal aliens. It is so comical to see them selectively pick who they want to check.

I rarely hunt my food plots, my intensions for planting them are to provide a late season food source and they don't get hammered until after season is closed, and when they do it is mostly at night. They provide nutrients when most other food is scarce. They use them heavy until green up. That is the huge difference in baiting and food plots.
This is pretty much been my experience over the years as well.

I rarely post anything on here unless it's during deer season. However, I jump on and read for about 10 to 15 minutes at least twice a week. There is a lot to learn and laugh about. I won't add to this ongoing debate, but adding a poll at this point would be interesting..."Have you changed your mind about baiting deer due to this thread?" 🤣. It's been a fun read! Carry On.

Latest posts

Back