• Help Support TNDeer:

Baiting Bill HB1618/SB1942

Should baiting be allowed on private land?

• Yes

Votes: 181 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 204 44.5%
  • Don't care

Votes: 73 15.9%

• Total voters
Are you drunk??
No...I just enjoy stirring the pot and watching people in denial lol...tbh is the same thing no matter how you slice it (plot vs corn) ....the problem I see is one takes more work to get the same results....if you need to put something in the area to bring deer to you because you want them there you baited....you altered the habitat to pull them there...and that is the truth....it is what it is...not like Tennessee is gonna allow it anyway....but at least some of ya get to enjoy the deer attracting you planted legally

No...I just enjoy stirring the pot and watching people in denial lol...tbh is the same thing no matter how you slice it (plot vs corn) ....the problem I see is one takes more work to get the same results....if you need to put something in the area to bring deer to you because you want them there you baited....you altered the habitat to pull them there...and that is the truth....it is what it is...not like Tennessee is gonna allow it anyway....but at least some of ya get to enjoy the deer attracting you planted legally
So you don't trim and shooting lanes or do anything at all to alter the habitat you hunt? Do yal hunt if crop fields? What are they classified as? A pile of corn and an acre of clover are the same results? How? I see the same arguments and there are 42 pages over 5 months debunking most of the bs but the same bs is getting typed on the site.

Big Brother Wtf GIF by YUNGBLUD

If the food source you're hunting over isn't rooted right there or fell from a tree that's rooted right there, then it's bait. It's that simple. It's not the same as a food plot, and TWRA agrees. That's why baiting is illegal and food plots aren't.

Sugar is "food".
But we don't want our kids just eating candy.
Corn is sugar.

Show me one child who has died from eating candy, yet we know too much sugar harms health.
But wet corn can develop a poison (aflatoxin), not just a case of sugar.
None of us would feed our children rotten food, which is exactly what aflatoxin corn is, i.e. rotten, molded, poison.

Aflatoxin poisoning usually doesn't kill deer, just makes them less healthy and sometimes very sick. That in turn makes them weaker, and more susceptible to being caught by predators. This is particularly the case with buck fawns. You just never personally see it, but the losses from feeding corn (in a pile or from a feeder) often exceed the benefits. It is a very different situation with a field of corn vs. a pile of corn.

But aflatoxin poisoning is mainly a killer of birds, all birds that eat it. I believe it has been a significant driver of periodic low turkey populations, as well as the near extinction of bobwhite quail. Corn in a pile is candy to birds. When it develops aflatoxin, the birds still eat it (although deer may not). Birds then fly or walk off to die no where near the corn pile, so those pouring out the corn rarely are aware of the dangers of aflatoxin (nor do most seem to even care).
show me a turkey that has died from aflatoxins!! please. i like scientific evidence!!!!

If the food source you're hunting over isn't rooted right there or fell from a tree that's rooted right there, then it's bait. It's that simple. It's not the same as a food plot, and TWRA agrees.
Accurate.
If a wildlife food item is poured from a bag, then hunting near that "food" pile is considered hunting over bait. This is legal in many states, illegal in many states.

If a wildlife food item is grown, it is considered a more natural food source, and hunting near that food source is not considered "baiting" (or illegal) in any state.

It can be hard to figure just where to draw the line between hunting & shooting, between legal & illegal, but pretty clear between pouring vs growing.

Philosophies & opinions differ from one state's wildlife agencies to another. Some are more focused on providing longer-term, more sustainable hunting opportunities (coupled with biologically sound wildlife management principles), others more focused on shorter-term shooting opportunities that exploit the resources.

Legalized baiting can provide more shooting opportunities, at least in the short run, but often at the expense of shooters learning the art of hunting.

Perhaps most ironic, legal hunting over bait (at least for deer) has often proven counter-productive in the legal killing of mature deer. The reason is simple: Surviving deer that become older adapt to becoming more nocturnal, often only visiting bait sites at night. That in turn has led to huge increases in illegal nighttime deer hunting over bait where daytime hunting over bait is legal.

Go figure.

Speaking of opportunities to actually see deer while hunting . . . . . . .

When hunting big hardwood areas, do you typically see more deer in years of a bumper acorn crop,
or in years with a poor acorn crop?

I see a lot more deer when there's a poor acorn crop, as the deer move around more to feed, and do a lot during daylight. With a bumper acorn crop, a higher percentage of the deer feeding is during nighttime, and the deer don't move around much at all, i.e. you'll typically not see near as many deer while hunting.

A similar thing can happen with food plots & baiting.
The deer, having a surplus of food, stop moving around, and do more of their moving around under the cover of darkness.

I've learned to be careful for what I wish,
and no point arguing with an idiot.

There's a pile of studies, stop being lazy and Google it. There's all the evidence you need with a simple Google search.
I'm still waiting for someone to show me one. I'm glad some of you guys believe studies with no proof of a deer ever dieing from it. Lol. I'm not googling tree huggers websites with all these opinions and no proof. This same corn gets fed to chickens, cows, pigs, you name it.

I'm still waiting for someone to show me one. I'm glad some of you guys believe studies with no proof of a deer ever dieing from it. Lol. I'm not googling tree huggers websites with all these opinions and no proof. This same corn gets fed to chickens, cows, pigs, you name it.
Noone on here has said deer are. It's turkeys. And other game birds. You also need to go research how aflatoxin happens. while you giving out examples that are in a very controlled environment and animals of that sort that are on a feed ration.

Studies are proof you're just being ignorant on purpose.

Last edited:
If the food source you're hunting over isn't rooted right there or fell from a tree that's rooted right there, then it's bait. It's that simple. It's not the same as a food plot, and TWRA agrees. That's why baiting is illegal
those poor chickens,cows,pigs and horses!!! oh and goats and ducks!! they are doomed!!!!

Did you know that deer aren't the only animals?

As for the horses and cows comment....our vet took a horse we owned off any feed that contained corn because of the potential of mold and given the digestive issues the horse was dealing with...switched to rolled oats and the issues improved....plenty of real world examples and published material for those who want to learn about whats best for wildlife.

Tree hugger websites? MSU Deer Lab is the furthest thing from a tree hugger website. Plenty of reputable information on the topic.

Latest posts

Back