• Help Support TNDeer:

Batteries

I've tried them all and I see no noticeable in improvement from the deep cycle marine batteries from Walmart.

I tried the AGMs and had a bad experience although others swear by them.

Get the largest group size you can fit in your boat.

I'll agree with Pilchard. The only battery I refuse to buy are interstate. I had the best life out of optima AGM, but idk if the juice is worth the squeeze

I can kill an interstate just by looking at it, but I don't know why. I caint get one to survive even as a dedicated cranking battery.

I can kill an interstate just by looking at it, but I don't know why. I caint get one to survive even as a dedicated cranking battery.
My fishing buddy says it should be illegal for Interstate to even sell a marine battery. He hates them! I bought my boat used 28 months ago and it came with 2 Interstate trolling batteries and an Interstate cranking battery. All 3 looked new. This one was the first of the 3 to bite the dust.

I buy the wally world batteries,have luck as long as i add distilled water as needed.I have tried interstate batteries a couple times and always had bad luck,dont care to run them anymore.Buddies run the big trogen golf cart batteries,unfortunately my boat dont have the height for them or i would be running them.

I've used Wally World batteries for the last 15 years or more with no issues. This is in marine, dozers, tractors, excavators, ATVs, UTVs, etc. with much less trouble than I've had with Interstate. And they seem to be less expensive.

Some of you that are running a TM that needs a bunch of juice or a bunch of electronics might want to start looking at the lithium batteries. They are still VERY high in cost, but, according to the reports provide 100% energy until they are 100% discharged. They are about a half or third of the weight (and size) of a lead battery, and, according to reports, are lasting up to five years. And, supposedly, they are faster to recharge. When you factor in the replacement period for lead batteries against the life of a lithium, the costs aren't that one-sided.

They are very popular in the flats skiffs where weight and size are pretty important. Microskiff.com has some good info on them.

They are coming down in price, and likely will be what I try to do on my next battery replacement.

Dakota lithium. 16 lbs vs 60+Lbs for an EverStart depending on the size. That's a big weight difference. 11 year warranty vs 1 yr on the walmart EverStarts. Definitely not cheap but the weight difference alone is worth it to me.

Sounds like Everstarts are a top choice. Personally I use advance auto batteries because you can usually find a coupon online and get a bargain. They've held up well for me.

Dakota lithium. 16 lbs vs 60+Lbs for an EverStart depending on the size. That's a big weight difference. 11 year warranty vs 1 yr on the walmart EverStarts. Definitely not cheap but the weight difference alone is worth it to me.
The 24V Dakota has 52.5 Ah and weighs 32 pounds.
A Group 24 AGM has 78 Ah and weighs 52 pounds and I would need 2 of them.
So I can shed 72 pounds, but is 52.5 Ah enough? It sounds awfully low compared to lead acid and AGM.

If you have anything over a 40 pound thrust trolling motor, you'll probably have to get into their 100 Ah version, and that's going to cost you out the rear because you'll need 2 for your 24 volt and they are high. I get away with the 54 Ah because my boat only has a 40 lb thrust trolling motor and a pull start Outboard. 54 Ah is plenty for me and runs my trolling motor and Humminbird Helix 7. In my case, my boat is just a 14 footer with a 5 hp outboard so shedding the weight is of benefit for me.

you will want to replace both batteries, unless the good one is almost new. the thing about lead acid deep cycle batteries is that they are not all created equal despite the brand. you have to look at their depth of discharge rating per cycle life to figure out about how long they will last. i have interstates now and havent had any trouble with them but i use a 3 stage charger and dont run them dead which increases the number of cycles i can get out of them.

a lot of folks buy the wrong size lead acid batteries for their tm head, usually too small, use a single stage charger, dont top them off correctly and run them dead in the dirt all the time. a lot of those hybrid batteries are not true deep cycle batteries and have thinner plates which wont last long either. AGM's may be a little less maintenance wise but ive had problems with cranking batteries so ive never used them for tm's.

you size a lifepo4 almost same as you would a deep cycle lead acid battery. you want the battery amp rating to be the same or a little higher than your tm head max amp rating. using minn kota as an example by their chart:

on the 24v series that 24 volt would be fine for up to 70 lb thrust and possibly ok for the 80lb thrust, but id probably up it to the 100ah to be on the safe side and longer run time. notice how a 12v tm at 50 lbs draws more than a 70 at 24v or 110 at 36v.

as far as run time a 50ah lifepo4 is equivalent to a 100ah lead acid deep cycle battery. as far as the high cost, youll be better off or at least break even with a lifepo4 because of the higher cycles and better life with heat and cold.

probably what ill move to when this set of interstates crap out. ive been eyeing the 60ah from the battery store. those also have built in circuit protection, but im not sure yet.

anyway hope this helps.

Last edited:
on board charger. Most important item you can purchase for battery life. plug it in when take the boat out. Unplug it when you go back fishing. Makes all the difference in the world. I have had good luck with the Minn Kota brand.

Latest posts

Back