• Help Support TNDeer:

Best affordable material for…

I've been thinking about this very issue.
You can rip some 2x2's with a groove about a 1/2" deep and wide enough for your plexiglass for the bottom piece and 3/4" deep on the top. This allows you to build a frame and the deeper groove allows you to install and remove the plexiglass if you need to replace it or clean it. You stick it in the top groove first and then when it drops into the lower groove it stays in place.
Or just buy the hinge window the size of your choice.

I think I'm going with the deer view

I used plexiglass from Lowe's when I built ours about 20 years ago. Use 2x6s layed flat for the shelves at the windows and cut groves in them so the plexiglass could slide. Worked great.

IMG_1872.webp

Lexan is easy to cut and drill without breaking. You can even put it in a brake and bend it without it breaking. I even break it to use as window visors.

I built one once with windows from a mobile home. Single frame, aluminum, a mounting bracket all the way around to put screws in, perfect! Unfortunately, I built it in a tree and the next year tree died and 2 years later it all fell. LOL

We used the the 4x8' plexiglass from Home Depot. Cut with circular saw and put on hinges. Works great. They come in smaller sizes
I do the same, but use a jigsaw to cut. Have to really clamp it down tight to a couple 2x4's to prevent any vibration and cracking the plexiglass. How does the circular saw work? I might try that instead of the jigsaw. Use regular wood blade, or do you use a special blade?

Latest posts

Back