• Help Support TNDeer:

Best eating catfish

catman529

Flathead mmmmmm

71e1dca65f4b4b5652d8753a83a5cd59.jpg

From a couple nights ago. With tartar sauce too. Don't get me wrong the channel cats are delicious too, but flatheads are the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many filets could you get off of this one?
Caught it Crappie fishing...1/8th ounce jig... 4 lb line....20 minute fight
012392a5478380363c20f9769a1a6eaf.jpg

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Aquaholic":2538s17h said:
How many filets could you get off of this one?
Caught it Crappie fishing...1/8th ounce jig... 4 lb line....20 minute fight
012392a5478380363c20f9769a1a6eaf.jpg

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
might turn that one loose! I like em under 10 pounds and under 5 is even better

I was at a fish fry where they cooked crappie, bass, channel cat, and flathead cat and was able to taste test each side by side. Flathead stood out above the others.

Snowwolfe":stqp40ca said:
Much depends on how they are cleaned and how much of the "red" is trimmed off the fillets.
hang them by the head and cut the tail off while they're alive. Bleeds them out pretty good. Don't forget the belly meat, it's a whole separate fillet on each side

I know nothing about fish. In fact I can barely even spell it:

What's the difference between flathead and channel catfish?

Where can you buy flathead catfish? The only fish I've ever liked was catfish caught by my FIL and cooked over an old cast iron fry pan by my MIL. That was some dang good eatin'!!! And I don't like eating fish!

Thanks,

FTG-05":1mpxbrzb said:
I know nothing about fish. In fact I can barely even spell it:

What's the difference between flathead and channel catfish?

Where can you buy flathead catfish? The only fish I've ever liked was catfish caught by my FIL and cooked over an old cast iron fry pan by my MIL. That was some dang good eatin'!!! And I don't like eating fish!

Thanks,

Can't buy Flathead, all of your store bought fish are channel cats. Flatheads definitely taste better and they get way bigger.

Snowwolfe":3cgg47xw said:
Much depends on how they are cleaned and how much of the "red" is trimmed off the fillets.
^^^^^^^^This ,all day long!!!!!!!!!!!!!,Yes Really!, Especially the"red ", it has to go! +1 for flathead being the best! :tu:

Making me miss my days on the deep clear lakes a little further north catching the "yellow cats" on bush hooks, trotlines and jugs. Put out 50-100 hooks to catch a dozen or so channels and flathead. Now I fish the Tennessee river lakes and catch a dozen blues in an hour on rod and reel but the flatheads are seldom. I love the side meat off a flathead better than anything. Belly meat is good but tough. I couldnt eat a catfish with the slimy mud tasting red meat on it anymore.

I meet people all the time that share their opinions of eating fish, but then I find out most of the time they go to a restaurant, order "fish", and don't even know what they are eating.

I'm increasingly surrounded by people that think I'm odd, or at least eccentric, for catching my own fish, cleaning them, and eating them. A week ago I mentioned that I took my kids fishing at a local lake, brought home some bream, cleaned them, and had them for lunch. They were so impressed that you'd think I had invented a time machine (slight exaggeration, but still...).

I love the rich culinary experiences that come from catching a variety of fish during my waterborne adventures and making meals out of them. I've only caught a couple of flatheads ever, but they were tasty. Looking forward to the next one!

I guess I need to give them another try.
I caught one years ago (I was probably 18 maybe?) at Danville off the rocks and brought it and a few channel cats home. Might have been some blues, I dunno.
Anyway, we were cleaning them in the back yard and I asked my dad what this one was and he said it's a flathead, not fit to eat.
I asked why so he cleaned it and the meat was a very dark color, almost a brown compared to the other ones.
I do remember he cooked a couple pieces of it and it was basically like eating a dirt clod.

Might have just been a bad one, dunno.

I think they're all good, but to me, you take a 10-12" little blue cat and cut off the head, skin it and gut it then throw it in a fryer whole. To me, that's got to where it's my go to for eating good catfish. The smaller the better. And those little ones are fairly easy to catch.

Back