• Help Support TNDeer:

Best eating catfish

RUGER":2ti9wc1e said:
I guess I need to give them another try.
I caught one years ago (I was probably 18 maybe?) at Danville off the rocks and brought it and a few channel cats home. Might have been some blues, I dunno.
Anyway, we were cleaning them in the back yard and I asked my dad what this one was and he said it's a flathead, not fit to eat.
I asked why so he cleaned it and the meat was a very dark color, almost a brown compared to the other ones.
I do remember he cooked a couple pieces of it and it was basically like eating a dirt clod.

Might have just been a bad one, dunno.

Are you sure it was a true flathead? When all of the red is removed, the meet is white and not brown especially after soaking in ice water. I hardly ever keep a channel but eat a ton of flatheads as we fish for them pretty hard in the summer.

My older family members have all ways said a Flathead was good eating no matter how big they get,had some of a 40lber that was good years ago

mike243":3n3n5vyb said:
My older family members have all ways said a Flathead was good eating no matter how big they get,had some of a 40lber that was good years ago

We normally turn them lose over 10 lbs, but that is correct. The big ones are just as good as long as all the red meat is removed.

RUGER":1jp9qxf6 said:
I guess I need to give them another try.
I caught one years ago (I was probably 18 maybe?) at Danville off the rocks and brought it and a few channel cats home. Might have been some blues, I dunno.
Anyway, we were cleaning them in the back yard and I asked my dad what this one was and he said it's a flathead, not fit to eat.
I asked why so he cleaned it and the meat was a very dark color, almost a brown compared to the other ones.
I do remember he cooked a couple pieces of it and it was basically like eating a dirt clod.

Might have just been a bad one, dunno.
I bet you had a bullhead aka mudcat. They are supposed to be fantastic live bait for flatties.

After finding good eating fish like crappie and smallmouth I started to turn down catfish... After getting to eat flathead side by side to "catfish" "channel" there's a huge difference and I'll be keeping flatheads in the future...

Back