• Help Support TNDeer:

Big bull dolphin

They taste great.they are very colorful while in the water but get real dull looking as soon as they are caught. Tuna are all around the rig. Its the most ive seen in a lond time. There have been a few caught but most break 80 pound test. Ill be getting my pole setup for my next hitch out here. Hopefully ill have fresh tuna to bring home

They do indeed taste great. In Hawaii I ate Mahi Mahi wth eggs over easy for breakfast. Actually better than steak & eggs which is hard to believe I know.

LA man":2cnf0lsb said:
There have been a few caught but most break 80 pound test.

How far do ya'll have to pull them out of the water to get them up on the platform? I'd think that pulling a big ole tuna 30-40 feet out of the water would be tough on just about any line (and hook).

I've heard about charter boats trolling around the platforms, but it never crossed my mind that you guys would actually fish off the platforms themselves. Pretty neat.

I've sent an email to a good friend who has worked the oil platforms most of his adult life asking how fish are landed.

Nice bull!! I fish down there quite a bit and it's really hard to beat mahi for a good all-around fish. As someone else stated, they make excellent fish tacos. They also put on a show for you when hooked, and are absolutely beautiful in the water all "lit up".

Those guys on the rigs fish all the time...and use multiple devices to land the fish. Never underestimate the power of cajun ingenuity!!

Zulu":1jg7ucnq said:
LA man":1jg7ucnq said:
There have been a few caught but most break 80 pound test.

How far do ya'll have to pull them out of the water to get them up on the platform? I'd think that pulling a big ole tuna 30-40 feet out of the water would be tough on just about any line (and hook).

I've heard about charter boats trolling around the platforms, but it never crossed my mind that you guys would actually fish off the platforms themselves. Pretty neat.

The main deck where we are allowed to fish is 20 feet above the water. If u get a fish close to the ship we hook a rope to the fishing line that has a large homemade treble hook on the rope. We lower the hook down and under the fish them pull up hard on the rope which snage the fish. Then with help they pull the rope and fish up to the handrails

Back