• Help Support TNDeer:

Biggest advantage of cell cams over sd and wifi cams….

redblood

And there are a bunch. But i am amazed at how i am taught a daily lesson, with real time reminders, on peak times of deer movement. At work my phone starts have clusters of seizures as deer trip cams on different farms and different areas at virtually the same time. I know , that in theory, you could ascertain the same info when you pull cards and tabulate the data on paper, but man it is so much effective and immediate when you phone is screaming it you every single days. Few things i noticed.

1. Deer are active at night but not super active
2. 1st light is the most active time
3. The first 2 hours are especially active
4. Last light is really good near agriculture
5. Movement is greatly enhanced during a cool fronts and during light rains, pretty much anywhere and anytime
6. Very little midday movement until rut draws near.

As the rut hits, you can still throw out much of the above.
Each of those above 6 items can be very site specific, generally true, but may be just the opposite at certain cam sites.

There is generally an additional seasonal difference in deer behavior, range shifting, i.e. summer vs. fall vs. winter, as well as changing food sources, etc.

Biggest advantage of cell cams to me, generally speaking, is simply not having to visit the cam locations so often. This saves time & money, while keeping the areas less disturbed.

Much of the extra cost of cellular service plans is actually recouped in gas & time savings over regular trail cams. In some cases, the monetary savings of cell cams makes using them less costly than regular trail cams.

Other advantages include seeing what's happening sooner instead of later.

One big advantage is knowing whether your cam is actually working, or not.
Can't tell you now many times I've had cams not working for weeks, and only discovered that weeks later.

With cell cams, if your cam quits working, you know to prioritize visiting that specific cam sooner.

Back