• Help Support TNDeer:

Boat motor question

Beardendy88

I was wondering if any of you guys had an opinion on the Evinrude fitcht ram engines. It's a 2000 200 hp. I've heard bad things about them but also some people like them. Thanks in advanced!

I have not owned one but I have read so many bad things that I would not risk it unless you are getting it practically for free. They were improved in 2000 and renamed to ram ficht but I don't know that I trust them still. They later renamed it to the ETec which has a better reputation. You may find yourself selling it for parts and re-powering. I would not own that year of mercury optimax either. They were nicknamed opti-pop. They did not fix the optimax until about 2003 or 2004.

The Fichts were bad, and I wouldn't consider one. They are supposedly partially responsible for OMC going out of business and selling Evinride due to the many warranty claims. You hardly ever see one any more.

I owned a 1998 175 FICHT and had nothing but trouble with it. Had it rebuilt once and then spent a bunch of money on it to keep it going. I will never own one again.

I bought the boat in (98 Stratos 285 Pro) in 2009 . Spent $3900 having it rebuilt in the first year. Spent another $2000 on various other engine problems the next. Piece of FICHT is what they are.

If you notice also.Not many boat builders put Johnson's or Evinrudes on their boats anymore and for a reason.All you see mostly is Mercury and Yamahas.It says a lot!!!

Beardendy88":3c8385hf said:
What about older johnsons? Like a 99 model 200 hp

I don't know the exact time frame, but somewhere in there, the 200 horsepower was junk. Supposedly the 200 around that time frame and the Ficht put OMC into bankruptcy due to multiple warranty claims. Now an older Johnson Fast Strike in 115 to 175 in that time frame was one heck of a motor.

I have a 2000 225 Ficht. It has been a good motor so far as it is now 15 years old and the only repairs (knock on wood) other than routine maintenance work to it has been to replace the P/T motor ($200) and starter ($100). Very efficient on fuel too, but I baby mine and it has rarely ever been opened up. I have never caught a fish going 70 MPH.

That being said, there has not been a motor made that has a worse reputation than the Ficht has. They have practically zero resale value and you will have a hard time finding a dealer that would even consider taking one in on trade for a new motor. You definitely want to stay away from the 1998-1999 models as those are the guinea pig years of the technology and the ones that had the most issues. If the price is good on the boat that you are looking at then by all means go for it. But, consider about $1500 for the price that the motor adds to the value of that boat.

Also consider that a loaded new Evinrude G2 will run you about $27K now :o . Mercury is the cheapest motor you can repower with today.

Beardendy88":1hhhqkeo said:
What about older johnsons? Like a 99 model 200 hp

I have a '92 Johnson on my boat that has been 100% trouble free. Now I've had this boat motor since it was a baby and took good care of it and maintained it. I change the plugs, lower unit oil, etc when it's required. First thing I did before putting the first tank of gas in was bypass the oil feed and mix the gas/oil myself.

I was leery and had only owned Mercs but this Johnson has started every single time and is not cold collared. My starting battery went dead once and I jumped myself off the TM battery so it's never left me stranded in all these years. The last Merc I owned left me stranded 3 times in two years. Twice I was fortunate enough to get a tow, once I drained my TM trying to get back to the dock with wife and son and wound up paddling a ways.

Some things like the Fitch does have a bad rep for a reason. I personally would stay away from the Fitch. Most things it's all about how it was taken care of. I'm anal about maintenance. I overdue it a bit with my vehicles, mower, atv, Harley and boat. My atv is the newest thing I own at 2010. My Harley and vehicles all three have 6 digit odoms and you'd think they came off the showroom floor. Unfortunately when you buy a used anything you have no idea how it was maintained.

Latest posts

Back