• Help Support TNDeer:

Bow Hunting From the Ground?

Being anchored in one place and staying there ( a substitute patience ) by being up in a tree has more to do with the success than the fact of being in a tree.
Interesting perspective.

I'm lucky in that our local deer rarely see predators in trees. We have up so many ladder stands that none get hunted more than 2 or 3 times per season. The deer rarely encounter a person in a tree, hence they act more with curiosity than fear. But person on the ground, completely different story.

I kind of disagree. I have cut trails to walk in through some mean thickets thinking I was creating a way in to the area I wanted to hunt and be as incognito as possible, only to have deer, even a couple of nice bucks, come down the trail I cut open a couple hours later. Even killed a few deer and for sure have seen them use fresh made trails.
Humm they didn't smell where you handled the brush. I've seen them jump straight upon the air where a limb might have brushed up against me .. must have been extremely dry.

We probably think it's so tough cause we've grown up hunting from treestands and never really truly tried, at least that's in my case.

I think it's more to do with their vision than anything. On the ground if can be still you'll look like just another inanimate object to them. But up in a tree it's easy to stand out even if you're being still, and they know it's an oddity.

I've been a committed tree stand hunter with a bow for years. One thing I've never accomplished was killing one with a compound bow from the ground.

Once the leaves fall, I stick out pretty bad in the stand and got busted a few times in the tree. I think I could conceal myself better on the ground in a thicker or blow down.

Anyone bow hunting them from the ground? I can imagine it would be very convenient to simply walk in, hunt and walk out.
My very first bow kill was from the ground, but it was not a wall hanger. Still (no pun intended), it was a real rush for me! Of course, I think I just got lucky because I wasn't really paying much attention to the wind, I just knew deer were crossing a trail where I set up. I do remember sitting so still on a bucket placed in a blackberry thicket and I was wearing a ghillie suit. To beat all, the deer came from a completely different direction than I was expecting - but he walked to within 5 yards of me, right past me. I have tried several times since, but have not taken another deer like that, although I have had a few in range that I just wouldn't shoot. Now you have me wanting to find another good ground spot to hunt!

This time of year is one of my favorite hunting times, I really enjoy getting in the woods and fixing spots, moving trails etc. This spot the shot will be taken here , now will be drawn and all the gotta do is keep walking till they are clear. Well, that's the plan anyway….

Attachments

• IMG_4426.webp
    IMG_4426.webp
    313.9 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back