• Help Support TNDeer:

Bows over the years? The real question???

It's an "aiming" system for a traditional bow with no sights. There are some good YouTube videos that will explain it far better than I ever could. Just search "GAP vs instinctive shooting"

I never could do it with my recurve but once I got a compound it was pretty easy and I was able to shoot 20yds about as accurate as I do today, even though my first compounds didn't have sights and were finger released. Beyond 20yds as arrow drop rapidly increased, the gap aiming got harder to judge. But at 20yds it felt like cheating. Then I got sights, a peep, and caliper release and been cheating ever since lol

For about 35 years I was a "buy a new bow every 3 years" guy.... The last new bow I bought was a Mathews V3X a couple of years ago...its an awesome bow. That said, somehow, I had never owned or shot a Switchback but after reading so many stories about them over the years, I decided to buy one about a year ago.

I bought a very clean Switchback XT, put on brand new strings and cables from Catfish and had it perfectly timed and tuned in about 30 minutes. Now I'm a believer....I've barely shot the V3X in the past year and doubt I'll ever buy another brand new bow again....I might watch for a really nice Mathews Reezen because, before I owned the SBXT, it might have been my favorite bow of all time.

My best bow was the last recurve I had in the 80's. Can't remember what it was though. (CRS) My last compound was a "Sabre" made by Newberry Bows in Dunlap, TN. They are out of business now. I sold it to my BIL in 2007. I think he probably still has it.

Bear, PSE, Martin, XI, Hoyt, Darton, and Mathews.
My current and probably best is my Mathews Z7 extreme.

For about 35 years I was a "buy a new bow every 3 years" guy.... The last new bow I bought was a Mathews V3X a couple of years ago...its an awesome bow. That said, somehow, I had never owned or shot a Switchback but after reading so many stories about them over the years, I decided to buy one about a year ago.

I bought a very clean Switchback XT, put on brand new strings and cables from Catfish and had it perfectly timed and tuned in about 30 minutes. Now I'm a believer....I've barely shot the V3X in the past year and doubt I'll ever buy another brand new bow again....I might watch for a really nice Mathews Reezen because, before I owned the SBXT, it might have been my favorite bow of all time.
Be careful. There is a reason Matthew's didn't make the Reezen for only 1 year.

Honestly, I have shot newer bows- but something major is going to have to happen tech wise to convince me they will do something my Z3 and switchback won't. I bought the Z3 because it was on the same playing field as the switchback.

My best bow was the last recurve I had in the 80's. Can't remember what it was though. (CRS) My last compound was a "Sabre" made by Newberry Bows in Dunlap, TN. They are out of business now. I sold it to my BIL in 2007. I think he probably still has it.
I thought the Sabre was a Champion Bow? Seems like my FIL bought one about the same time I bought my Champion Buck, in 2001. I never missed or made a bad shot that I thought was due to the equipment.

Upgraded about a month ago to a Mathews Phase 4. All total, it's about a pound heavier, but it is a lot faster. 290 fps at 60# and 382 grain arrow vs about 250 fps at 55# for the Buck with the same arrow. Haven't killed anything with the Phase 4 but have a Kansas tag in my pocket!

It's always been interesting how people gravitate to certain bows to an almost cult like following. Mathews is hands down the Switchback XT. The original Switchback didn't get the love of the XT. In fact, I went with the Switchback over the XT because of the length and I would put the Switchback in the category of worse bows I have had. That's what kept me from ever getting the XT because of my experience with its bigger brother. Elite Archery's cult following is the GT500. Everybody loves it. I didn't ever care for it...the Pure was my favorite of the Elite bows. I used to buy a new one every year...some times 3 or 4 a year. I'm glad I got away from that!

Bear Flare II, PSE Thunderflight Express (with the overdraw), PSE Carrera, PSE X-Force 6, PSE Revenge, PSE EVO XF 30. Still shoot all of the last three. I was always the outcast in a camp full of Mathews guys...

Be careful. There is a reason Matthew's didn't make the Reezen for only 1 year.
They actually made the Reezen for 2 years, 2009 and 2010. I remember that a lot of people didn't like them, I suppose that was because it had a much more aggressive cam and, consequently a harsher draw cycle than their prior bows.

The one I had (a Reezen 6.5 at 29" and 60 lbs) just seemed to 'fit" me and so I shot it really well. What was it you didn't like about them?

My first bow - McPherson GC-2000 I could bust knocks with that thing - it had what the guy here called an overdraw lol. Like 24 inch arrows. Not very safe. lol
Favorite bow was a Mathews feather max with high country safari close second.
I know have a 15 yr old Hoyt faktor. I can pick it up right now and it has a dial sight and I'd bet I can dial to whatever and it's good. Actually wish I had a reason to get a new one. lol. I figure my shoulder give out one of these days. Dread that.

I had to give up the compound about 10 years ago when I tore both rotator cuffs.
But, I have a question for you all: Have you ever used an "atlatl"?
My youngest son was at the Santa Fe Trail Rendezvous in Raton, NM this year and he found one and bought it for his brother. It is a very interesting predecessor to the bow. And it is a lot of fun to use.

Back