• Help Support TNDeer:

Braid on spinning reel

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Anything special I need to know or do when putting braid on a spinning reel?

Just normal tension while filling the spool?

Also, what is the best knot to use with braid?

I use a little extra tension when spooling braid. If you spool too loosely the line will sink into the inner layers making it hard to cast and easy to tangle.

Pintail":exnesn6u said:
I always put 20ft or so mono on first to keep braid from slipping
X2 I dont really measure it but I always use a little mono to keep it from slipping. They are rough on the eyes so I agree there too. Plus always check your line for weak spots. Braid can be a PAIN if it starts getting weak spots. I lots one of my biggest smallies ever one time because the line popped about 10 ft up from my bait. I was PO'd

i use suffix 832 6/2 and oversized reels, usually 35 size, so i spool up with a half spool of mono backer and the rest with braid, no sense have a full spool of braid. i have no problems with stainless guides with 832, its not an aggressive braid. knot probably depends on the braid, i use palomar or improved clinch for lures and double uni for joining to mono or flouro. albeit i only have one rod with braid for deep water bluegill and one 12ft rod i use for crappie jigging, so thats my limited experience.

oh yeah, keep a short stick, i use the handle of my needle nose pliers to wrap around the line for breaking snags. one mistake i wont make again.

You only need about 30-40 yards of braid.

I use an improved Albright knot to join braid to 6-20' of 6-8lb flouro or mono leader, depending on what I'm using.

I am 100% braid on all my spinning tackle now. Even small crankbaits and jerkbaits. I won't go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never had a problem with it slipping on spinning reels. I'll wrap it 6-8 times before I tie the knot. That's with power pro.
I've had it slip bad with me on bait casters though but never spinners. A dab of super glue on the reel and line and let it sit for about 5 minutes fixed the slipping tho.

RUGER":2j8wztjs said:
Anything special I need to know or do when putting braid on a spinning reel?

Just normal tension while filling the spool?

Also, what is the best knot to use with braid?
Uni knot and the San Diego Jam

*Always use a wet cloth to run the line through while spooling
*Keep the line tight in your hands using the cloth the ENTIRE process. If you give up pressure for even a second, it could result in your line not sticking to the spool the way you want it to

Latest posts

Back