• Help Support TNDeer:

Braid to floro leader?

TRIGGER

I have tried this a few times and break off on the first fish I set the hook on every time and throw it in the floor telling myself that I knew better lol. I like the concept and see the advantages but I just can't make it work. I see the pros do it with success and have tried their knots but with a different result than they get. Anyone have better success than I at this? (For bass)

I am tying a little different knot than above but love it on a spinning reel for certain situations. I can't remember what I am tying. I didn't like the blood knot. If you are breaking off, I would say it's the knot that you are tying.

Double uni.

Without knowing your set up the first thing I'd guess is your drag is too tight. You need a little slip if you're setting with braid and fluorocarbon. The shock coming from no stretch to limited stretch is more than it can take.

I fish off shore out of San Diego. I've gone totally to loop to loop connections but google Bob Sands Knot. It's similar to a Tony Pena knot. It's vital to pull it tight, but if done right it's close to 100%

SilverFox":2d7sr2cv said:
Double uni.

Without knowing your set up the first thing I'd guess is your drag is too tight. You need a little slip if you're setting with braid and fluorocarbon. The shock coming from no stretch to limited stretch is more than it can take.

Probably guilty as charged. I feel like I have it set loose enough but I like power Fishing more so than finess.. Maybe I do. The only success I do have is my Carolina rig but that's 30lb braid to 20lb mono with a swivel.

I use a blood knot to tie leaders on baitcasters and spinning reels. Never had an issue. Its goes through guides well even on micro guides. This past weekend I tied a 20 pound fluro leader to 50 pound braid on my flipping setup (Mental thing. Braid seems to make a lot of noise when pulled across a bush). That's about the ultimate test of a knot and had no trouble. Heard an FG knot is good for this application as well, but never tried it.

TRIGGER":120isica said:
SilverFox":120isica said:
Double uni.

Probably guilty as charged. I feel like I have it set loose enough but I like power Fishing more so than finess.. Maybe I do. The only success I do have is my Carolina rig but that's 30lb braid to 20lb mono with a swivel.

Unless you just got some bad line I'd bet this is your problem. I'm sure you know how to tie a knot. I did the same thing a time to two when I first started using braid and a leader.

double uni. i double the wraps on the braid and wet really good. its even more critical on the lighter braid and gliss that i use. even the best tied double uni, albright or alberto only has about 50% of braid break strength so like silverfox said adjust your drag accordingly. the other knots that reach 100% break strength involves 20-40 wraps.

TRIGGER":25604x1d said:
I have tried this a few times and break off on the first fish I set the hook on every time and throw it in the floor telling myself that I knew better lol. I like the concept and see the advantages but I just can't make it work. I see the pros do it with success and have tried their knots but with a different result than they get. Anyone have better success than I at this? (For bass)

Mike-. What brand of flourocarbon line are you using? Reason I ask, I have used a couple of brands of 12 pound flouro that were terrible. I have had it break after 50 casts. It always seems to break when I am casting a heavy crankbait. I thought it was my rod guide, but changed brands and it quit. Seaguar 10&12 lb isn't any count, unless I got a bad spool. Cabela's 100% flouro has been working for me pretty well. I only use flouro on my crankbait rods though.

double browtine":33p3uavz said:
TRIGGER":33p3uavz said:

Mike-. What brand of flourocarbon line are you using? Reason I ask, I have used a couple of brands of 12 pound flouro that were terrible. I have had it break after 50 casts. It always seems to break when I am casting a heavy crankbait. I thought it was my rod guide, but changed brands and it quit. Seaguar 10&12 lb isn't any count, unless I got a bad spool. Cabela's 100% flouro has been working for me pretty well. I only use flouro on my crankbait rods though.

I have been working through line for a few years now so a few different ones like p-line,segar,vicious,etc but have settled on the bass pro xps. I have not tried a leader with it yet though. That's what I tied on the other night (xps hyper braid 20lb to xps floro 10 lb) and it seams ok tugging and pulling on it in the garage lol.

Do yourself a favor and tie your leader and hook on and hook it to something that doesn't move. Pull on it with steadily increasing pressure until something fails. This will tell you if it is the abrupt hookset that is causing the braid to pop or if your knot sucks.

I come from saltwater where braid with flouroleader is the norm. I double my braid with a spider hitch and then tie an Albright to connect the two. That said, you really don't need that combination with such light line. I would recommend you master the uni knot with the braid doubled.

Pilchard":i9iwl5yl said:
Do yourself a favor and tie your leader and hook on and hook it to something that doesn't move. Pull on it with steadily increasing pressure until something fails. This will tell you if it is the abrupt hookset that is causing the braid to pop or if your knot sucks.

I come from saltwater where braid with flouroleader is the norm. I double my braid with a spider hitch and then tie an Albright to connect the two. That said, you really don't need that combination with such light line. I would recommend you master the uni knot with the braid doubled.

If you aren't doubling the braid over, that's probably your problem. Doubling the braid keeps it from cutting your leader or slipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverFox":21c2o57s said:
Double uni.

Yep, double uni.

here's another tip for you, rather than making a 5-10' leader, I make about a 20' leader. this takes a ton of shock off of your leader knot, and if you master the uni, you will never here it hitting the guides. Ive also had success using an alberto knot. just be sure to cut the tag ends close to the knot.

Back