• Help Support TNDeer:

Broadheads.

ive used muzzys, rage, stingers, G5 and probably a couple others i don't recall. of the name brands my favorites are the stingers. however, a few years back a family member got me some cheap amazon fixed broadheads - one of those "oh gee you shouldn't have" eye rolling moments. i intended to relegate them to target practice but once i handled them and saw how sharp they came and then shot them and saw how they held up to target abuse i started hunting with them. 4 seasons later every deer ive shot at with these heads has ended up in my freezer and not a one made it more than 50 yards with the best blood trails ive had. every shot created a horror movie set in the woods. ymmv:

note: when i go to reorder these the old link/product name almost always no longer exists. but ive ordered them a couple of times under dif names and each time gotten what i was after with the same performance.

I shot Thunderheads until Montecs came out. Only switched because Montecs are one piece and don't fall apart when you unscrew them. I shot 2 deer with a Rage Chisel Tip in 2017. One at 64 yds and it looked like I threw an ax thru it and one at 37 yds that didn't open. I have had some Schwackers for a few years but never actually shot an animal with one. Keep saying I'm gonna try each year and never do. Might this year.

I've been VERY fortunate that in all these years I've watched everything I've ever shot at drop, no tracking. I realize I've been pretty lucky and eventually that luck will run out. I just got back from out West and shot a Pronghorn Antelope from a blind at 48 yds. Complete pass thru and excellent shot. There were no trees as far as the eye could see but it ran almost 100 yds. Obviously with no trees I saw it fall 100 yds away but there was ZERO blood from where he was hit until he piled up and bled where he lay. So he wound up about 150 yds from the blind. I caught both lungs and nicked the heart.

I hunt thick woods and if that happened on a doe with no blood, even with a good shot, not sure I could track her. I'm also color blind so I have to use a light. A G5 Deadmeat for example, if it opens it's devastating. If it doesn't it's equivalent to a Montec when it's closed. On the Schwackers the front part of the blade that pushes them open are actually sharpened and even if it doesn't open, it's not too much short of a small fixed blade.

So I'm very torn this year after my out West hunt.

Viper Tricks will be leading the way on my elk arrows.

20240906_132054.webp

I like the Savora Swept Wing, still have some in the package.
LOL wanna know how I know you are old??????????? This is how! :D First deer I ever killed I used those back in about 1982 or so. I used them until I switched to Thunderheads years later and I never looked back. They shot ok, killed ok, but if you shot at anything other than a target, your broadhead was ruined. I think the main ferrule was made out of silly putty or something, it was that soft!

Anyone ever see or use WASP six blades? Those are what I started with years ago.

LOL wanna know how I know you are old??????????? This is how! :D First deer I ever killed I used those back in about 1982 or so. I used them until I switched to Thunderheads years later and I never looked back. They shot ok, killed ok, but if you shot at anything other than a target, your broadhead was ruined. I think the main ferrule was made out of silly putty or something, it was that soft!
If you think you are telling me something I haven't figured out about my age, you are wrong, I know I am old. The main ferrule was made of aluminum. A couple of strokes with a file would make them serviceable again if just the tip was damaged. They were very accurate, and the blades were easily replaced. They weren't cheap, but not as expensive as thunderheads. They worked well way back when and they still would work well today!

Latest posts

Back