• Help Support TNDeer:

Caney Fork & a boat ?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Ok so the way I understand it they are still generating too much to wade the Caney.

If a man was to go there with a boat, could he put in at Happy Hollow and go up towards the dam from there?

How bad would he need to expect to tear up his prop and lower unit if he did? :D

I have GOT to catch a trout before I have surgery !!!

I have a 10ft plastic pond boat that I've taken to the Caney. I've dropped in at the dam and floated down.

When they're generating, I can't go upstream with a 55lb thrust trolling motor (at least not fast enough to get anywhere).

With an outboard, you can do it while they're generating and the water level is up. When they stop generating and the water drops you'd need to lift your outboard so it doesn't drag in some places.

That being said, I've seen people there with small outboards.

Disclaimer - I'm no expert. I've only been twice.

With one generator you will be fine. I fish the river when it is generating and safe navigation is no problem. Just make sure you go upstream in case you were to have problems with your motor. At least then you can float back to the ramp you started at. I had a buddy up by the dam yesterday in his fiberglass bass rig with a 115 horsepower motor. He caught at least one really nice brown trout drifting down.

Depends on how far you want to go up the river and how much they are generating. You should be able to go up to the first couple of islands at least. If its a full blown generation then you should be able to get all the way up to the dam. It will be hard fishing. Look for slow eddies below fallen trees and on the back sides of the islands.

With the 10k cfs they were running yesterday, I could go anywhere. The water was up in the trees and fast! Caught a few fish and brought home a couple little ones for the smoker. Unfortunately no walleye up by the dam.

i don't know when your surgery is , but you may have chance to wade.
the caney fork river basin dodged a lot of heavy rain from all these storms
at 10k plus cfs stay away from betty ramp as the water will flow over the ramp...happy ramp will have a safe harbor in the creek by the ramp.
i might take my razor down to happy ramp on sunday

Back