• Help Support TNDeer:

Caney Fork - Who goes and a few tips?

BirdDog123

Hey guys,

So I have gone up to Caney to fish near Center Hill Dam a few times and was wondering who else goes up there often? I am thinking about going Friday morning and Saturday. It would be nice to meet a few guys on here that go up often so I'd have someone to coordinate taking in/out on the kayaks.

Also, what do you guys have luck with? For a fly rod, I have been fishing with midge nymphs but not having too much luck. On a spinning reel, I've been using a rooster tail without much luck either. I just gotta put in more time I guess and figure em out :).

The only public spots I have parked at have been the Dam and Happy Hollow. I've also heard Betty Island was a good spot.

What are y'alls experiences with the Caney?

I fish there a lot in the Summer months and can give you some tips. First thing is forget about the rooster tails. They certainly catch fish but Trout Magnets will out perform them 10 to 1 if fished properly. You can fish them as simple as drifting them under a bobber of as you get better you can let them sink and rapidly twitch them. They'll catch small and even really large trout. To have the most success with Trout Magnets you MUST use 4# line at the most, I strongly recommend 2# flourocarbon. You have to have a good drag and be patient with a larger fish. Early this Summer I landed a 19" rainbow on 2# test and a chartreuse Trout Magnet. I was a little nervous but just had to be patient.

If you're fishing at night or at sunset, use heavier gear and throw jerkbaits. Rattlin Rogue jerkbaits have been top producers for big Brown Trout (20+ inchers) all Summer for me and a few buddies. I haven't done that in a while because the 250 cfs sluice orifice has got me stumped and I can't seem to catch fish when it's open. Are you kayaking or wading? Be VERY aware of the generation right now because they open the sluice gate now and will for a few more weeks I think. That boosts the flow and makes it 100% unsafe anywhere around the dam, no matter what kind of water craft you're in. I personally wouldn't even float the river with the sluice open. I don't want to be moving that fast, it can make things a bit treacherous.

I definitely appreciate the fishing tips and the advice about the sluice.

I wade if I am fly fishing but I'll just use the kayak if I am spinning. Last time I went, I stayed at Center Hill until the Dam went off then I went to Happy Hollow for about an hour. It was frustrating at the Dam because they were rising all around me but not even coming close to hitting my rooster tail. :bash:

Is the fishing better overall in the fall/spring? Have you fished it much in the winter?

MidTennFisher":1759wu0u said:
I fish there a lot in the Summer months and can give you some tips. First thing is forget about the rooster tails. They certainly catch fish but Trout Magnets will out perform them 10 to 1 if fished properly. You can fish them as simple as drifting them under a bobber of as you get better you can let them sink and rapidly twitch them. They'll catch small and even really large trout. To have the most success with Trout Magnets you MUST use 4# line at the most, I strongly recommend 2# flourocarbon. You have to have a good drag and be patient with a larger fish. Early this Summer I landed a 19" rainbow on 2# test and a chartreuse Trout Magnet. I was a little nervous but just had to be patient.

If you're fishing at night or at sunset, use heavier gear and throw jerkbaits. Rattlin Rogue jerkbaits have been top producers for big Brown Trout (20+ inchers) all Summer for me and a few buddies. I haven't done that in a while because the 250 cfs sluice orifice has got me stumped and I can't seem to catch fish when it's open. Are you kayaking or wading? Be VERY aware of the generation right now because they open the sluice gate now and will for a few more weeks I think. That boosts the flow and makes it 100% unsafe anywhere around the dam, no matter what kind of water craft you're in. I personally wouldn't even float the river with the sluice open. I don't want to be moving that fast, it can make things a bit treacherous.

You do realize that the sluice at 250 cfs isn't anywhere close to one generator being run? It may cause some current in the "pool" at the dam, but isn't near the issue on down the river that a generator at 5000+ cfs is.

I, personally, prefer to fish when the sluice is going as opposed to no current. I've fished the near dam area by watercraft several times with the sluice being operated with zero concerns.

scn":bhh92a2r said:
You do realize that the sluice at 250 cfs isn't anywhere close to one generator being run? It may cause some current in the "pool" at the dam, but isn't near the issue on down the river that a generator at 5000+ cfs is.

I, personally, prefer to fish when the sluice is going as opposed to no current.

Yes I'm aware. I fish that river a lot so I'm savvy to what the generation does with and without sluice and what the orifice gate supplying the 250 cfs does. The 250 doesn't make it unsafe by any means but for some reason I've had worse luck with it running. I'm not quite sure why. I made several trips this Summer in my kayak and fished the pond at night. Sometimes with a generator running the whole night, sometimes on falling and then low water. I landed a bunch of good fish but with the orifice gate open I've had a tough time. Haven't been back in about a month and won't until the 250 cfs stops.

BirdDog123":1wqlatu8 said:
Is the fishing better overall in the fall/spring? Have you fished it much in the winter?

Just like for all fish, the fishing in the Caney is definitely better in the Fall and Spring. The Winter fishing is great there as well but I don't bother with it. It's too cold for me to be comfortable getting wet. I don't fish much in the Winter, I'll be hunting instead.

MidTennFisher":3flefvrz said:
scn":3flefvrz said:

I, personally, prefer to fish when the sluice is going as opposed to no current.

Yes I'm aware. I fish that river a lot so I'm savvy to what the generation does with and without sluice and what the orifice gate supplying the 250 cfs does. The 250 doesn't make it unsafe by any means but for some reason I've had worse luck with it running. I'm not quite sure why. I made several trips this Summer in my kayak and fished the pond at night. Sometimes with a generator running the whole night, sometimes on falling and then low water. I landed a bunch of good fish but with the orifice gate open I've had a tough time. Haven't been back in about a month and won't until the 250 cfs stops.

No argument from me on the sluice changing the productivity of your trips as it does change conditions.

But, if you re-read your first post, you stated that the sluice makes it 100% unsafe anywhere around the dam. That was the reason for my post.

scn":3t304rqv said:
MidTennFisher":3t304rqv said:
scn":3t304rqv said:

No argument from me on the sluice changing the productivity of your trips as it does change conditions.

But, if you re-read your first post, you stated that the sluice makes it 100% unsafe anywhere around the dam. That was the reason for my post.

Gotcha. What I meant was the sluice gate open in conjunction with generation. That is very unsafe. The 250 cfs, if I remember correctly, is just an orifice gate. It isn't actually part of the sluice. They only open it during Summer months to help with the dissolved oxygen content downstream.

BirdDog123":1cwk86cb said:
I definitely appreciate the fishing tips and the advice about the sluice.

I wade if I am fly fishing but I'll just use the kayak if I am spinning. Last time I went, I stayed at Center Hill until the Dam went off then I went to Happy Hollow for about an hour. It was frustrating at the Dam because they were rising all around me but not even coming close to hitting my rooster tail. :bash:

If they were rising all around you, they most likely were taking midges/black flies. Oftentimes they are taking those as emergers in the "film" rather than adults on top. When they get to feeding heavily on those, they become very selective. It isn't surprising that they would ignore your roostertail.

Your fly of choice in those conditions was probably a midge/black fly emerger in sizes 20-24 (I, personally, don't go past a 22 as I can't see to tie on anything smaller). Fish them in the film down to a couple of inches deep. They can be caught when the are "midging", but it is pretty technical and tough.

scn":3gvyb6kr said:
BirdDog123":3gvyb6kr said:
Your fly of choice in those conditions was probably a midge/black fly emerger in sizes 20-24 (I, personally, don't go past a 22 as I can't see to tie on anything smaller). Fish them in the film down to a couple of inches deep. They can be caught when the are "midging", but it is pretty technical and tough.

That's what I have been fishing with for fly fishing. I am new to this type of fly fishing, but I've been casting upstream and trying to present a dead drift. I got a lonnnng way to go fly fishing haha. Have you had any luck with wooly buggers or any larger flies?

BirdDog123":3wr8gk2q said:
scn":3wr8gk2q said:
BirdDog123":3wr8gk2q said:

That's what I have been fishing with for fly fishing. I am new to this type of fly fishing, but I've been casting upstream and trying to present a dead drift. I got a lonnnng way to go fly fishing haha. Have you had any luck with wooly buggers or any larger flies?

There are always some fish to be caught on wooly buggers. But, in the situation with the rising fish that are keyed into something in the top couple of inches of the water column, I suspect they would have done about as much good as the roostertail.

But, if the fish aren't taking on top, olive/ black/ and white WB are always producers on the Caney.

I pretty much concur with what everyone has said here. Although I do think the additional 250cfs helps the fishing downstream a bit, just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I expect there would be more rockfish in the past few weeks with the constant sluice they have been running. I did pretty good below the dam a couple times earlier in the summer when they only had generators and would cut them off in the evening.

What's up with the higher water levels when generating this year? It used to be one generator was about 3400 CFS, but this year it's been around 5200 with one generator.

Personally, this has been the toughest year for size and quantity for me in the past ten years.

jakeway":1i93wg5p said:
What's up with the higher water levels when generating this year? It used to be one generator was about 3400 CFS, but this year it's been around 5200 with one generator.

Personally, this has been the toughest year for size and quantity for me in the past ten years.

That is because they are sluicing alongside that one generator. While they are generating, the sluice adds that extra 2000cfs or so. When generators are off, the sluice puts out a constant 250cfs .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BirdDog123":2gl245h7 said:
I had some luck today. I caught 5 over 2 hours at the dam. Now I gotta find out where the biggins are at!
Awesome! Glad to hear it. Keep at it and you will get you some big ones. Don't be afraid to throw larger baits either ;) Would love to see some pics when ya get em!

When they are not generating the pond below the dam is calm and a great place to paddle around. When a generator is going you will have swift current coming from that side but the area is still relatively safe. (using common sense of course) The picture below is when the area below the dam is not at all safe. Be safe and have a blast!

Unless the fisherman in the stern has on one of the inflatable belt backs that is shielded from view, the picture also shows a boating violation as life jackets must be worn from the area right above the Long Branch ramp to the dam.

scn":ox8shs1n said:
Unless the fisherman in the stern has on one of the inflatable belt backs that is shielded from view, the picture also shows a boating violation as life jackets must be worn from the area right above the Long Branch ramp to the dam.

That would be correct SCN- Pic was taken in 2011 by Richard Simms. It has been a while but I specifically remember Simms bringing 2 of his belt style PFDs for himself and DR Randy. DR Randy is the man in the stern.

Yeah I will definitely get some pictures together soon. I went back the next day and caught 4 more and my wife got one on a rooster tail. I had the most luck with a small midge nymph for the fly rod and a medium sized swim bait that looked like a rainbow minnow. I saw a lot of lightly colored knats flying around so I figure a cream colored dry midge would crush em this time of year.

What do you guys consider "eating size" there? When I finally measured a fish, I realized I was throwing back 10 and 12 inchers. Given that the slot limit is 14-20.. do you guys eat anything under 14? Would a 10-12 inch fish have enough meat on it? I'm waiting on my Rattlin' Rogue to come in so I can hopefully hook into a big brown. :super:

bigluresonly":32257g33 said:
BirdDog123":32257g33 said:
I had some luck today. I caught 5 over 2 hours at the dam. Now I gotta find out where the biggins are at!
Awesome! Glad to hear it. Keep at it and you will get you some big ones. Don't be afraid to throw larger baits either ;) Would love to see some pics when ya get em!

When they are not generating the pond below the dam is calm and a great place to paddle around. When a generator is going you will have swift current coming from that side but the area is still relatively safe. (using common sense of course) The picture below is when the area below the dam is not at all safe. Be safe and have a blast!

Latest posts

Back