• Help Support TNDeer:

Caney Fork - Who goes and a few tips?

I will occasionally keep a few fish to cook for the wife and I. I'm not really sure how to explain this, but I base what fish I keep off fin quality, not size. I prefer to keep a fish that has spent some time in the river over one that has been freshly chucked off the stock truck every time. A fish that has spent some time in the river will have a more firm flesh and taste more like fish. I'd rather keep a 10' fish with whole fins than a 13.99" fish with worn down fins. If a fish looks messed up and dull, I turn it loose. If it's full of vibrant colors and life, it's a keeper.

I don't take many pictures of stockers or tailwaters fish, but you can tell by the worn down fins on this that it's fairly fresh off the truck.

This is in the slot, but you can tell it's been in the river long enough to grow its normal fins.

Keep only what you are going to eat.

I don't keep any of those bony son of a guns. I've had a cooked about a dozen different ways and I just don't care for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzard Breath":lnbwmiun said:
I will occasionally keep a few fish to cook for the wife and I. I'm not really sure how to explain this, but I base what fish I keep off fin quality, not size. I prefer to keep a fish that has spent some time in the river over one that has been freshly chucked off the stock truck every time. A fish that has spent some time in the river will have a more firm flesh and taste more like fish. I'd rather keep a 10' fish with whole fins than a 13.99" fish with worn down fins. If a fish looks messed up and dull, I turn it loose. If it's full of vibrant colors and life, it's a keeper.

I don't take many pictures of stockers or tailwaters fish, but you can tell by the worn down fins on this that it's fairly fresh off the truck.

This is in the slot, but you can tell it's been in the river long enough to grow its normal fins.

Keep only what you are going to eat.

Great advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x2 on his advice about keeping them. After you've landed several rainbows you'll quickly notice a difference in not only the fins but also the coloration of the fish. Look for a bright pink shade on the side and gills. You'll often find that in combination with fully grown fins and know that fish was either naturally born in that river or it was stocked as a fingerling and been living in there for a while. Those fish taste much better. I would love to see the slot changed to allow slightly larger fish to be harvested. I like to eat trout but capping it at 14" is pretty frustrating. A 16" fish is a nice, meaty fish. As far as 20+ inchers, they're definitely in there. I caught a 19" rainbow earlier this Summer. When I catch my 20 incher you can believe it's going to simmer in butter, lemon juice, and some herbs.

If you eat a dull colored, worn down fish you're basically eating a farm raised fish and I'm sure you catfish folks (I'm not a huge fan of them) can attest to the notion that a farm raised catfish tastes like crap compared to a wild caught one. Same with trout. Get a few vividly colored ones and enjoy.

Latest posts

Back