• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots Cereal Rye Not Germinating

Bayou Buck

Man I'm bummed out at the moment. Broadcasted about 500 lbs of cereal rye a few weeks ago and got several rain showers since then. Not a single grain has sprouted. Went and inspected during these storms and all the seeds are soft white mush inside. My oats were about 50/50 as well which isn't ideal. Not sure if the heat between rain events had anything to do with it or if it was bad seed from the Coop. Anyone ever see anything similar with rye grain?

Rye grain is usually very easy to grow, I have always had great germination with the rye that I have used. I prefer Pennington's wintergrazer rye, but I have used others as well.

I broadcast forage wheat from coop on Monday, and I already had germination this morning.

That almost sounds like the seed was submerged for an extended period of time, or it wasn't able to dry out. That seems insane that you would have that kind of flooding though.

When I plant rye right before a good rain I normally expect it to be several inches tall by that time next week. Granted army worms destroyed my rye, but I put more out a few days ago and it's germinating already.

If I were you I would go get some more seed and get it out, and I would probably go to a different location than where you got the last seed from.

We had one field last year with rye and crimson. None of the rye ever came up. Full of crimson. Never had that happen in all the years we've planted it. We wrote it up as a bad batch of rye. It was a single batch just for that 2.5 acre field. The other bull batch of rye was for all the other fields and it that batch came up just fine.

Latest posts

Back