• Help Support TNDeer:

We're in uncharted territory in college sports

Man if we are not.
Didnt Saban retire because players had their hands out. Smaller schools don't have a prayer.

we are watching the beginning of the end of college sports.

when NIL compensation started, they have created a secondary nfl without parity safeguards and vastly less talent

The one advantage that college sports had always clung too, too overcome the obvious skill level shortcomings, was playing for legacy and the love of the game. NIL killed that. Now its run to the highest bidder, without a salary cap to keep parity in play.
On the the surface NIL certainly looked good. I would have to go back and look at some of what my early remarks were but I was probably excited to see it coming.

Fast forward and with hind site and with not controls in place it's been a cluster muck. It's like they threw this into the wind with no though, no planning and no rules or regulations prior to implementation. Just throw it to the wall and let's see what's sticks.

Players are now jumping to team to team, year to year. There is no team loyalty. There will be no team legacy in time. You will see no stud QB in years to come completing 4 years at a single college. Or a heisman caliber running back completing completing 4 years at a single college. Be lucky to spend to seasons.

On the the surface NIL certainly looked good. I would have to go back and look at some of what my early remarks were but I was probably excited to see it coming.

Fast forward and with hind site and with not controls in place it's been a cluster muck. It's like they threw this into the wind with no though, no planning and no rules or regulations prior to implementation. Just throw it to the wall and let's see what's sticks.

Players are now jumping to team to team, year to year. There is no team loyalty. There will be no team legacy in time. You will see no stud QB in years to come completing 4 years at a single college. Or a heisman caliber running back completing completing 4 years at a single college. Be lucky to spend to seasons.
They opened a can of worms

The NIL was opened up by the courts. The NCAA or whatever other system to be used for attaching controls over the process, including the transfer portal, has some serious catching up to do. School administrations and boosters are doing what they can get away with in open competition until some legal restraints are implemented.

There's no stopping or controlling nil. Not unless you get the players under a contract where they can be limited. It's an antitrust issue. Basically you can't tell someone how much they can make on a side job. Now if you can get them to sign a contract saying they won't do side work then you can stop it. The ncaa does not have that power. No kid is gonna sign that when there's schools that will tell them you can make all you want on the side. It kills me where people think schools or the ncaa can just tell someone how much they can earn. They can't do that. I do think it's ruining the game and college sports in general but there's no good way to control it. The schools are about to be able to pay them and cap that but that's not gonna stop them from "earning" on the side from collectives and such. If the school made them employees then it's a little more controllable but they have to start granting them benefits and all kinds of stuff they don't want to deal with. It's a huge mess. The transferring without penalty nonstop is as much or more of a problem than nil is

There's no stopping or controlling nil. Not unless you get the players under a contract where they can be limited. It's an antitrust issue. Basically you can't tell someone how much they can make on a side job. Now if you can get them to sign a contract saying they won't do side work then you can stop it. The ncaa does not have that power. No kid is gonna sign that when there's schools that will tell them you can make all you want on the side. It kills me where people think schools or the ncaa can just tell someone how much they can earn. They can't do that. I do think it's ruining the game and college sports in general but there's no good way to control it. The schools are about to be able to pay them and cap that but that's not gonna stop them from "earning" on the side from collectives and such. If the school made them employees then it's a little more controllable but they have to start granting them benefits and all kinds of stuff they don't want to deal with. It's a huge mess. The transferring without penalty nonstop is as much or more of a problem than nil is
When they become paid school employees, they because d league nfl or nba players

SEC schools' football budgets exceed non-power 5 schools total budgets. Unless something changes college sports will include only 50+ big schools and will cost less talented athletes an education.

My youngest was asked to walk on to the Vols basketball team. He was a very good player, but I expect they wanted him because he was white and a straight A student.

He took a full ride at DII University of Alabama Huntsville. Got a great education and is now a research pharmacist at St Jude Children's hospital.

Latest posts

Back