• Help Support TNDeer:

Chick questions

Spurhunter

Thinking about taking my son to the Chick for Labor Day weekend. Might tent camp if it has cooled off some. Where should we camp and what boat ramp should we use? Any Chick bass experts care to guess what pattern the fish will be on? Thanks for any responses. I am also going to hit you locals up for some good spots if we go. Keep in mind I'm as far west as you can go without running into the MS River so I won't fishing the Chick but once a year if that.

Chester frost park and harrison bay both have camping and nice ramps. As far as fishing goes grass is going to be the name of the game. Flipping grass or fishing the edge with swimbaits and worms.

Above is all correct... but I personally recommend Harrison Bay State Park over Chester Frost.

Bass patterns are all over the map. Topwater in and around grass, especially early and late. What mjwendorf said. But you'll also want to keep your eyes peeled (and a rod rigged) for some topwater midday. You're likely to spot bass and stripe schooling up and busting minnows on top in heat of afternoon.

If you're willing to use some live bait, send me a PM and I''l tell you one spot/pattern where you're virtually guaranteed a few fish. :D

I would also highly recommend that you visit http://www.chattanoogafishingforum.com You will have to become a registered member before you can see the Fishing Reports section, but you'll find some outstanding, up-to-date fishing reports there. I'd suggest you watch specifically for reports from a guy who goes by screen name "Jmax." He won't give you GPS coordinates, but he'll give you solid info on patterns and lures.

Finally, if you decide you want some "professional" guidance, I have a guiding partner who specializes in bass fishing the Chick. Ben Hayes is topnotch! Watch him in action here: http://www.sceniccityfishing.com/largemouth.html

I'm not prone to "high pressure sales tactics," but even if you bring your own boat, if you're going to be here a few days, $200 for a half-day trip (with some locations, tips & techniques), is a good investment in making your own following fishing days much more enjoyable. Just sayin' ... ;) Oh yea, I also know another guide real well who will take you catfishing. :mrgreen:

I hope you have a great visit to my backyard. I'm proud of it. :tu:

Thanks for the responses guys! I really appreciate it. Rsimms we won't use live bait but I appreciate the offer. I use live bait for bream and crappie but for some reason find it sacrilegious for bass. I am going to check your buddy out. I agree. $200 is a small price to pay for a lot of help.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I would recommend harrison bay. And if your gonna be down a few days its def a good investment to least get a half day guide. A good one is invaluable to let you know what the current conditions are like. Where they been holding ect. First time I ever went down there I saw a dude catch a 9lb 15oz largemouth on the bank with a nightcrawler. As for catfish a man can never go wrong with skipjack at the discharge of the sequoia plant

Latest posts

Back