• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots Clethodim mixing rate

BSK

For 20 gallons of water per acre, what's the best mixing rate for Clethodim? I've seen everything for 6 oz to 16 oz recommended. What say you?

I always use a pint with surfactant. Expect it to take about 2 weeks to kill grass. You can tank mix it & 24DB to spray your Crimson with.

Last edited:
I've always used .75 oz cleth and .65 oz surfactant per gallon of water. So to 20 gallons of water you would add 15 oz cleth and 13 oz surfactant. That's always worked for me, but be patient, it takes at least 2 weeks to show much effect.

According to the label, 16 oz per acre is the max rate per year. I generally apply the lowest rate necessary to get the job done and that will depend on what grass I'm after. Lower rates are good for annual summer grasses that may sprout a second or 3rd flush with favorable weather.

So if u got a .25 acre staging plot with 25 gal sprayer what's the mixing rate?
By math at a pint an acre (16oz), that would be 4oz of Clethodim in your water, no matter if you have 5 gallons or 25 gallons of water. For that small a plot, personally I'd go 10 gallons of water and 4-6oz of Clethodim and spray until there is no more

When mixes are rated at oz/acre, I usually mix it on the light side and make multiple passes over the same ground. I don't know or trust my application rate enough to nail it in just one pass.

It's a first year plot and done really well I mowed it one time and the weeds have been suppressed because the clover was so thick . When is a good time to fertilize and over seed ?
Overseed with what? If it's clover, I've had great results with overseeding and fertilizing as early as mid-August. But if it's cereal grains, wait until mid to late September. If sown in August, they will get so tall and stemmy by MZ season that deer no longer favor them. Cereal grains are most attractive to deer when they are young.

And if overseeding in August, don't be afraid to add a species that will get killed by the first frost. Soybeans and buckwheat are excellent bow-season attractants, even though they get killed by the first frost (usually late October).

Latest posts

Back