• Help Support TNDeer:

Clinch help

lothar

I have only waded, mainly below the dam and behind the church. My 6 year old loves to trout fish and wants me to take him, but I know he won't be able to wade. I know he'll only be able to go if I drift, but I have never done it there. When is the best time to drift? I know I won't be able to until the water comes up. How many turbines do they need to be running? I will prob put in at Miller's Island cause this is the only ramp I'm familiar with. Secondly, I only have a 20 ft flatbottom. Is this boat too big to drift up there? Thanks

Ok here's my take, but I am a overly cautious kind of person. Keep in mind I have floated the Clinch many years in a driftboat. There is no way I would risk the life of my 6 y.o kid in the Clinch UNLESS you have vast experience on that river especially with 3000-6000 cubic feet per second flow. The river is constantly changing with logs, trees, etc. it is 52-55 degrees in the summer and it would take little time with a little body to get into big trouble.

Sorry if I sound over the top but tailwaters are not a safe place for kids.

All you need is 1 generator running 3000 cfs to comfortably run/float the Clinch. I took my family up there this past Saturday and we had a blast. We caught trout and my 5 year old son and 4 year old daughter so much fun. They love how cold it is when running 38 mph upriver. My boat is 18 ft 10" long and has a 90HP Yamaha. I do know that river very well however. You shouldn't have any issues drifting. Just make sure the generators have been running at least 2 hours before you put your boat in.

Latest posts

Back