• Help Support TNDeer:

Close call yesterday

Zulu

Yesterday morning right at sunrise I was backing my boat down a fairly steep ramp at Sardis. I got the trailer as deep as I wanted, pressed the brake and the pedal went TO THE FLOOR. One of the brake hoses picked that exact moment to blow out. Luckily I was going just slow enough to get it stopped. A little faster or a little later and I'd have been a U-boat commander. More excitement than I was looking for, but all it cost me was a new brake hose and a blown day on the lake, and not a new truck and star status on youtube.

Dang glad you got it stopped. I'm always nervous about the park brake but it holds pretty well.

Sent from the talk of tap

Yeah, I was real lucky. Sometimes if I'm in a hurry or the ramp is real busy, I'll back in a little faster, then "pop" the brake once the trailer's in the water and let the boats momentum carry it off. It's a pretty common technique, but if I'd have done it this time the truck would have been in the water for sure. I'm going to have to reconsider ever doing the "pop" technique again.

Zulu":7jt0m3c4 said:
Yeah, I was real lucky. Sometimes if I'm in a hurry or the ramp is real busy, I'll back in a little faster, then "pop" the brake once the trailer's in the water and let the boats momentum carry it off. It's a pretty common technique, but if I'd have done it this time the truck would have been in the water for sure. I'm going to have to reconsider ever doing the "pop" technique again.
I just "popped" my boat into the water yesterday...wouldn't be no good having the brake line pop too

Sent from the talk of tap

Glad no one was hurt. Try backing down a steep ramp in neutral. If something goes wrong, you may have a chance to put it in drive and gas it to start going forward again.

TN Larry":nwjsjzlp said:
Glad no one was hurt. Try backing down a steep ramp in neutral. If something goes wrong, you may have a chance to put it in drive and gas it to start going forward again.

Thats not a bad idea.

TheDuke'sBack":y36qp142 said:
TN Larry":y36qp142 said:

Thats not a bad idea.

That's a REAL GOOD idea. I'm definitely going to start doing that. I use a lot of pretty steep ramps. My son also told me that he always backs in with the window down and his seatbelt off ... just in case.

I put mine in drive once Im heading down a steep ramp....let the weight pull it backwards....I have had breaks go out years ago....saved me...

Latest posts

Back