• Help Support TNDeer:

Cold front coming in

lafn96

Looks like a mild cold front is coming in to E. TN; forecasted for Monday night through at least next Sunday. Lows in the high 40's/ low 50's; so not truly cold but a 10+ degree drop from the day before. The Hunter's Moon is next Thursday; if the cold front hangs around till then could get those bucks to moving more during the day or just coming out a little more during shooting hours. Crossing my fingers, and warning the boss now I may be sick next week.

Funny story. Moved from Ohio to Texas. Well Ohio can and does get bitter cold in the winter, Lived right close to Lake Erie. Bitter cold, lots of snow.
When I moved to Texas it was in June, hot as all Hades. September comes along, got a little cooler. Went to work one morning towards end of September/Early October, temp was in high 50's, and to me that was pretty warm. So I had my usual work uniform with short sleeve shirt. I was the first one to come in beside the service manager, and he had the coffee pot going. I always liked to get to work about half hour early to have coffee and just relax before hell breaks loose. Anyway, I'm sitting at the break table when a few of the other guys start coming in. I notice they are wearing heavy jackets. So I'm wondering, did the temperature pummet since I came in or what. I decide to go outside and see for myself what happened. I get outside, and seems pretty nice and comfortable to me. So I ask the guys, whats the deal with the heavy jackets? Is it supposed to get cold today? Here comes the answer. That's pretty cold out there. And I finally realize when temps get below 60-70 in Texas, that's cold. They thought I was crazy for coming in with no jacket.

What days do you think will be best.

This entire 10 day span looks pretty good. But the cold front doesn't excite me as much as next weekend. Notice Thursday the pressure begins building then by Friday evening it's enough to switch wind 180* over night, but by Sunday pressure falls out and wind changes 180* again. It's not a major thing but it coincides with buck shift and spike in pre-rut activity that is spurred by photoperiod, the amount of daylight. It happens same exact time every year. That's when the bulk of scrapes & rubs are really popping up. So having a double reversal of wind direction and pressure fluctuations crammed into 48hrs, I'm going to be on stand over a big perennial scrape. Mid October is usually the only time I hunt scrapes.

Don't get me wrong. The entire cold front is worth the hunt. Any cold front in October is worth the hunt. But the best days I believe are next weekend.

1728135491957.webp

This entire 10 day span looks pretty good. But the cold front doesn't excite me as much as next weekend. Notice Thursday the pressure begins building then by Friday evening it's enough to switch wind 180* over night, but by Sunday pressure falls out and wind changes 180* again. It's not a major thing but it coincides with buck shift and spike in pre-rut activity that is spurred by photoperiod, the amount of daylight. It happens same exact time every year. That's when the bulk of scrapes & rubs are really popping up. So having a double reversal of wind direction and pressure fluctuations crammed into 48hrs, I'm going to be on stand over a big perennial scrape. Mid October is usually the only time I hunt scrapes.

Don't get me wrong. The entire cold front is worth the hunt. Any cold front in October is worth the hunt. But the best days I believe are next weekend.

View attachment 245744
I need to buy you a beer or breakfast someday. Thank you.

View attachment 245744
Pardon me for asking. Where do you see a cold front? Everything on that chart is quite warm and comfortable.

Pardon me for asking. Where do you see a cold front? Everything on that chart is quite warm and comfortable.

Today and tomorrow are mid to upper 80s. Monday won't even get near 80. That's a significant drop in temperature accompanied by north wind and big drop in atmospheric pressure. By any measure that is a cold front.

Doesn't mean you need to break out a parka and wool socks. But it does mean deer will be more comfortable getting on their feet during daylight, just like you'll most likely be out doing something to enjoy the good weather.

I forget which study is was; but the temp itself didn't matter as much as the difference in temp from the day/days before. Any temp drop of 10+ degrees got the deer moving significantly more. I'll see if I can find it

Today and tomorrow are mid to upper 80s. Monday won't even get near 80. That's a significant drop in temperature accompanied by north wind and big drop in atmospheric pressure. By any measure that is a cold front.

Doesn't mean you need to break out a parka and wool socks. But it does mean deer will be more comfortable getting on their feet during daylight, just like you'll most likely be out doing something to enjoy the good weather.
Monday is showing 76°....that's pretty danged close to 80°.

Latest posts

Back