• Help Support TNDeer:

corn crops

landman

The Corn crops in around here and down thru west KY are history of this week, this will be a record breaking year for insurance claims on corn. Soybeans will still last, in this weather they are
trying to put down deep roots looking for water. I've seen many years beans planted the week of the 4th of July make good crops, but what you have to watch for is an early frost effecting them

landman said:
The Corn crops in around here and down thru west KY are history of this week, this will be a record breaking year for insurance claims on corn.
I was just wondering when someone in the know was going to mention this. I rode around yesterday in Haywood, Hardeman and Tipton counties glassing for wildlife and such, and the corn just looked pitiful, like it was dying for some rain. (no pun intended).

Andy S. said:
landman said:
The Corn crops in around here and down thru west KY are history of this week, this will be a record breaking year for insurance claims on corn.
I was just wondering when someone in the know was going to mention this. I rode around yesterday in Haywood, Hardeman and Tipton counties glassing for wildlife and such, and the corn just looked pitiful, like it was dying for some rain. (no pun intended).

I'll bet that 60% of the crop would only produce a 50% yield if it
rained 5 days straight with 1" per day, a lot of it has no ears on it at all

landman said:
....a lot of it has no ears on it at all
Me and a buddy noticed this as well. I was not going to mention it because I did not get out of the truck and inspect the stalks up close. Best we could tell from driving by slow, we have not see an ear yet on a lot of it.

Some farmers are to the point of cutting for silage to feed cattle because pastures are so burned up and as already mentioned...much of it won't make anything anyway.

I was at our Christian county lease yesterday. Landman, you are absolutely correct. If a plentiful rain event doesn't happen very, VERY soon, then about ALL will be lost on this year's corn crop.

Boll Weevil said:
Some farmers are to the point of cutting for silage to feed cattle because pastures are so burned up and as already mentioned...much of it won't make anything anyway.

They won't do that around here, unless a dairy farm, Insurance checks a gone if they do, and they will be BIG checks, with this Nation Wide dry weather Oct. corn prices could easily hit $7.50 per bushel, Nov delivered corn was $6.80 on Friday.

So lets say your in Christian Co. KY a $7.50/bushel and county
average at 150 bushels per acre, that $1,125 per acre, 100 acres at $112,500. Not much getting made into silage across TN & KY

landman said:
Boll Weevil said:

They won't do that around here, unless a dairy farm, Insurance checks a gone if they do, and they will be BIG checks, with this Nation Wide dry weather Oct. corn prices could easily hit $7.50 per bushel, Nov delivered corn was $6.80 on Friday.

average at 150 bushels per acre, that $1,125 per acre, 100 acres at $112,500. Not much getting made into silage across TN & KY
Your information is not even close to accurate. Yes they can cut it for silage. They will come in measure the yield at time of chopping then calculate and pay based on the difference based on calculated yield and average farm history. Only if the farmer claims a 100% lose then they cannot chop it. They will not pay 100% yield even if it is a 100% lose. Therefore they farmer will try to avoid a 100% lose claim if at all possible. Sometimes the insurance price is set in the spring. There are other price formulas and none of them are Oct that I am aware of. Some will take Dec futures average price from what it was in the month of Oct which is considerably lower than Oct's price. Friday close on Dec board was more like $6.35.

Using the county average of 150. Say the farmer makes 50% which is 75 bu/a. Insurance is at best 75% which is 112.5 bu/a at best, Minus the 75 bu made means insurance pays for 37.5 bu/a. If the farmer has a contract to deliver and doesn't make the crop he will have to buy out the contract. The insurance is not a profit to the farmer. Most will still loose big.

DWM said:
landman said:
Boll Weevil said:

Your information is not even close to accurate. Yes they can cut it for silage. They will come in measure the yield at time of chopping then calculate and pay based on the difference based on calculated yield and average farm history. Only if the farmer claims a 100% lose then they cannot chop it. They will not pay 100% yield even if it is a 100% lose. Therefore they farmer will try to avoid a 100% lose claim if at all possible. Sometimes the insurance price is set in the spring. There are other price formulas and none of them are Oct that I am aware of. Some will take Dec futures average price from what it was in the month of Oct which is considerably lower than Oct's price. Friday close on Dec board was more like $6.35.

Using the county average of 150. Say the farmer makes 50% which is 75 bu/a. Insurance is at best 75% which is 112.5 bu/a at best, Minus the 75 bu made means insurance pays for 37.5 bu/a. If the farmer has a contract to deliver and doesn't make the crop he will have to buy out the contract. The insurance is not a profit to the farmer. Most will still loose big.

I didn't say they got a check for 100%, was just using that as an example for pricing. An you will NOT being seeing corn chopped around here or western KY, unless they have a dairy farm.

The Top Producing farmers lose with insurance, but many get that bump, cause they wouldn't be making that kind of corp in a good year. And even the one with 10,000 acres plus, hope for the insurance checks, many did and got them from the fall of 2010 bean crops and loved what they got and made money. I know that for a fact, cause I got rent checks and saw what they made.

I talked to a farmer Sat. eve and he said he'd give $5000 for a 2" rainfall. We got some last night, but not quite 2". Amounts I've heard of varied from 0.65 - 1.6". That will help some! I'm thankful as it will keep me from watering my garden any more this week.

Wife told me one of the farmers near our house was out cutting his corn down this week, I'm hoping he was doing it as silage for a dairy farm, but none around here that I know of

We planted 28 acres of popcorn this year.. since the land we planted had always been pasture,(except for 5 acres) we could not any crop insurance.. ah.. the life of a farmer..lol..

The few dairies I know of are chopping silage in the next week or two. Lower two sets of leaves already burned up and hoping to salvage something from it.

Its a bad deal all around.

tn droptine said:
Wife told me one of the farmers near our house was out cutting his corn down this week.....
My best friend told me today that a couple of corn fields close to my house (Tipton County) had been cut down in the last few days.

Latest posts

Back