• Help Support TNDeer:

Coyotes are efficient deer killers

fairchaser

Attended the annual Ames banquet last night and they went over all the research they had been working on the last two years. They have done capture and collar studies including placing vaginal inserts in pregnant does to determine when they give birth to help in determining fawn recruitment.

One of the findings that shocked me was that a full 1/3 of the collared does did not survive more than a few months. I asked had they done necropsies on them and they had if there were any remains. Most if not almost all had died from canine attacks. One had died from pneumonia.

I realize it's hard to reduce any coyote population but it sure makes sense to try!

Agree that its hard and that we should try to manage coyote numbers. Also, listened to a podcast recently where they studied where does have fawns, where they raise them, thick timber verses grown up field or burned areas and it was very interesting to see the role habitat played. I've also heard some land managers talking more about managing habitat for small game, better habitat for rabbits, etc. Creating more options for predators. Thought being that they will go after the easier meal...but again, I agree that we need to manage predators for deer and turkey, but managing the habitat, to favor the game we love, is also something to consider.

This is from a study regarding declining deer populations in the Appalachian
1000014691.webp
Mountains.

I've been stressing the importance of coyote removal for years. They are the number 1 limiting factor when it comes to deer and turkey recruitment. Nothing else is even a close second.

But it takes year round dedication to make any difference. Just shooting a couple in deer season doesn't do a bit of good.

And one more thing... I had NO idea just how effective the night time calling would be. We called up 5 or 6 that week season was open. But I also had no idea how hard it is to pull off the shot at night...

Dogs just come charging in at full speed, and by the time you pick them up, it's hard to swing on them and kill them. We only killed 2. They don't come running in, pause, run some more in, pause, etc like they do in the daytime. Plus during that week of night hunting, pups are with parents, so sometimes you get the whole pack to come charging in at once.

We have removed over 30 in the past 2 years... still know of 3 singles and 3 packs that are next door on the neighbors, so its never ending.

If you want to know if you have a problem, just ride your roads near your property and play a howl or pair howl about an hour after dark.

Being from south Mississippi we grew up hunting deer with hounds.
During those days our hounds would also run coyotes and even a mix that we called coy-dogs , I shot every one I could. We don't have rabbits like we did 40 years ago because the yotes have cleared them out. They will eat your pets too , doesn't matter, if they can catch it they will eat it.

They always tried to tell us here that coyotes didn't have much of an impact on deer. I never did agree with that because i would see dead fawns in their mouths on camera and find them dead from animal attacks.

I caught 10 coyotes last year on my place and they completely stopped showing up on camera until this last week. Cell cams over sets makes trapping much easier.

Wish I knew how to trap. I'd love to get rid of a few around here
I just watched some youtube videos and learned how to do it. I'm still a novice at it. It is a whole world like hunting and fishing. The main thing when starting out is to just make sure that trap is bedded solid with no wiggle. It's a great survival skill that a woodsman should master and it helps control some species that are desperately in need of it.

Wish I knew how to trap. I'd love to get rid of a few around here
If you're wanting to learn, Tn Furharvesters and TWRA hold classes every year. After taking the class try to find an experienced trapper to run some lines with. Then start experiencing Christmas every time you run a line. You never know what will be under the tree. Be patient and good luck!

And one more thing... I had NO idea just how effective the night time calling would be. We called up 5 or 6 that week season was open. But I also had no idea how hard it is to pull off the shot at night...

Dogs just come charging in at full speed, and by the time you pick them up, it's hard to swing on them and kill them.
Were you using a rifle exclusively? I can see why one might, especially if they have a rifle set up with night optics. But I've heard they come in hard and fast at night, as you referenced.

In the tungsten hand loading world, there are some who swear by a 2 or 2.25 oz load of TSS #3 or #4 for yotes. I think they are really effective, even out to 75 or 80 yards.

Last edited:
Were you using a rifle exclusively? I can see why one might, especially if they have a rifle set up with night optics. But I've heard they come in hard and fast at night, as you referenced.

In the tungsten hand loading world, there are some who swear by a 2 or 2.25 oz load of TSS #3 or #4 for yotes. I think they are really effective, even out to 75 or 80 yards.
no, shotgun only at night, just using #2's. The problem is the dog is on top of you before you can even react. And when they get a whiff something is off, they spin and haul butt before you can spin and get the shot off.

I'm sure night hunting is just like any other shooting skill and I'll get better the more I do it.

And I'm sure #4 TSS's will kill the crap out of them at 80 yards! Most of the shots we get at night are within 20, so no need to spend the $$$ on TSS, though.

Latest posts

Back