• Help Support TNDeer:

Crawler pickin....pic

As a kid, during the summer I'd make money catching nightcrawlers after heavy rains and selling them.

I would keep 2 1 gallon milk jugs with the tops cut off on my belt through the handles so I could keep my hands free. Also duct taped 2 flashlights to one of those old plastic baseball hats you could get at the Brewer games before headlamps were cool and easy to get.

I'd package them up a dozen to a box, using the little milk cartons I'd dig out of the elementary's garbage, selling them along the lake shore to people already fishing. What couldn't sell in a day or 2, I'd walk down and ditch for a discounted rate to the local bait shop. At first he was made kids were stealing his business away, but in the end he decided to reward us for working and bought them from us.

I wore all my entrepreneurship out at an early age.

Use a light with a red lens and they won't spook as quick.
We would soak the yard with a hose real good before the sun went down. Drive 2 steel rods into the ground several yards apart hook up the battery charger and flip the switch for a minute or two.
You can also go out on a dark night after a heavy rain .They'll be laying on top of the ground. If it is a windy breezy night for get it, the crawlers dry out to quick and barley come out of the holes.

There was a worm farm in the classified ads pretty good way to raise them and keep a supply handy.

JoeVaquero said:
So what types of areas would I need to look for night crawlers?

I've always had good luck in cemeteries. Any place where the ground is rather soft and the grass is thick from fertilizing. You could possibly do it in your own yard. Go right after a rain, or sprinkle a bunch of water just before dark and come back an hour later.

Latest posts

Back