• Help Support TNDeer:

Crossbow help

Fire_Medic890

In the market for a crossbow but I am very ignorant on the subject.
Whats a good crossbow? Not looking to break the bank but also do not want junk.
What’s a good scope to get for said crossbow?
What broadheads do you use?
I know crossbows shoot much faster than compound bows so not sure if that makes a difference with broadhead use?
I’d rather buy once & cry once than waste time buying junk. However, I really don’t want to drop $1,500 or so just on a crossbow.

As you can tell, I’m lost on this endeavor and any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

After my experience the last couple of years with Killer Instinct, I would avoid them. I bought a Bear last year to replace it. The scope that came with both is decent. First thing I would do is buy some heavier bolts to shoot out of it than the ones that come in the RTS packages. They border on too light, and that leads to limbs cracking/delaminating. As for broad heads, it's probably personal preference, but I shoot 125 grain slick tricks, though the 100 will be fine.

Hard to beat this setup. As TNGunsmoke said, Slick Trick 100 or 125 grain is a great broadhead out of this setup for me. Also, Wyvern's is top notch!

Last edited:
https://mikesarchery.com/excalibur-crossbows-micro-mag-340-mossy-oak-overwatch-camo-package/
Get a half dozen Dragon Claws arrows from Wyvern Creations and 125-150 grain broadheads. That will give you a 425-450 grain arrow. The quill arrows that come with the Excalibur are descent, but need more weight up front to get good flight. (200-225 grains). FYI, I shoot 150 grain Slick Trick XBow broadheads and don't dare shoot the same spot out to 50 yards.
I see where it has a Trigger Tech trigger? Is it adjustable like the TT Primary, Special?

I see where it has a Trigger Tech trigger? Is it adjustable like the TT Primary, Special?
Not sure about the trigger. It's not horrible, but don't expect it to be like those on a good rifle. The folks on crossbownation.com could answer your questions better than I can. I have a Mag 340 and that little crossbow will shoot anything I feed it. It's boringly accurate. I would also suggest to get a Flemish bowstring to replace the factory on. Not that it's bad, but you'll need a new one/backup eventually. "Boo" or "Blacktail" on that forum can make them for you. Blacktail made me one for $38 shipped.

Hard to beat this setup. As TNGunsmoke said, Slick Trick 100 or 125 grain is a great broadhead out of this setup for me. Also, Wyvern's is top notch!
Ok bit the bullet and ordered it along with a case and 18 arrows. Said it came with 6 in the package so 24 should hopefully be enough to last awhile.
Now on to the broadheads.
What target do y’all suggest?

100 or 125 gr?

Ok bit the bullet and ordered it along with a case and 18 arrows. Said it came with 6 in the package so 24 should hopefully be enough to last awhile.
Now on to the broadheads.
What target do y’all suggest?

100 or 125 gr?
I have these in 100 and 125 grain. I already had 100 grain heads that I used with my compound. If I was just starting out I would get the 125's.

I have these in 100 and 125 grain. I already had 100 grain heads that I used with my compound. If I was just starting out I would get the 125's.
Just ordered 5 (4 packs) 125 grain. $178 shipped. Not bad at all.

What target is best? Would like to shoot some with broadheads to confirm POI etc.

I just have a bag target, but they are not recommended for broadheads. I have heard good things about the Rinehart 18-1 targets for broadheads. You may want to check those out.

Latest posts

Back