• Help Support TNDeer:

Cupcake Saturday….

redblood

Was on full display. Finally found a game- ND bs A&M.. But its not a barn burner. I dont understand why big programs from power 5 conferences tee off on little schools when it seems if you scheduled nonconference power 5 schools you would get more consideration for the playoffs. And not pointing fingers at anyone program- they all did it today, except for a few. You would think TV ratings would be better if the matchup's were more balanced and competitive. I understand why the little school will go to an SEC powers field and take a beat down for a big check but i dont see what the big school gets from it, other than an easy win. Im a football fan , not a team fan, and i want to see competitive football. Looks like some better matchups next week.

On a side note- hats off to the Dores, played a good school and found a way to win.

Was on full display. Finally found a game- ND bs A&M.. But its not a barn burner. I dont understand why big programs from power 5 conferences tee off on little schools when it seems if you scheduled nonconference power 5 schools you would get more consideration for the playoffs. And not pointing fingers at anyone program- they all did it today, except for a few. You would think TV ratings would be better if the matchup's were more balanced and competitive. I understand why the little school will go to an SEC powers field and take a beat down for a big check but i dont see what the big school gets from it, other than an easy win. Im a football fan , not a team fan, and i want to see competitive football. Looks like some better matchups next week.

On a side note- hats off to the Dores, played a good school and found a way to win.
Here are some of the things I think a big school gets out of scheduling the little schools. If big schools play another out-of-conference big school, they will likely have to schedule a home and away game with that other team. (The couple of season-starting classic games are exceptions.) They will lose out on revenue from a home game at some point. When they schedule a little school, the game is played at home. The big school gets to keep all the revenue except for what the pay the little school.

Many season ticket holders will give up their tickets for that game and other fans will get a chance to attend a game when they otherwise would have little chance of getting into bigger games. The bigger school gets a chance to play more players if they can get a comfortable lead so hopefully not take as big of a toll physically. The SEC schedule is brutal; not just for wins versus losses, but for wear and tear on players.

Here are some of the things I think a big school gets out of scheduling the little schools. If big schools play another out-of-conference big school, they will likely have to schedule a home and away game with that other team. (The couple of season-starting classic games are exceptions.) They will lose out on revenue from a home game at some point. When they schedule a little school, the game is played at home. The big school gets to keep all the revenue except for what the pay the little school.

Many season ticket holders will give up their tickets for that game and other fans will get a chance to attend a game when they otherwise would have little chance of getting into bigger games. The bigger school gets a chance to play more players if they can get a comfortable lead so hopefully not take as big of a toll physically. The SEC schedule is brutal; not just for wins versus losses, but for wear and tear on players.
Very good explanation and that makes sense. One of the reasons i have always enjoyed nfl ball a little more was because of the more venly matched games- anyone could win any game.

Opening up tocket opportunities for younger/ lower income fans is a good point. And schools in the sec can only hide for so long.

Very good explanation and that makes sense. One of the reasons i have always enjoyed nfl ball a little more was because of the more venly matched games- anyone could win any game.

Opening up tocket opportunities for younger/ lower income fans is a good point. And schools in the sec can only hide for so long.
I still hate the late season games of big school vs little school but get why many schedule it...

I don't mind the one or two cupcake games a year. As a fan of an SEC team, everyone knows that the conference schedule is brutal, and if you can make it out with 2 or fewer losses you have a damn good team. Even with a cupcake thrown in.

Plus they are still exciting games to watch every week. Even on opening day. They was 3 ranked vs ranked games on today with many power 5 vs power 5 games on plenty to watch.

Last edited:
I don't mind the one or two cupcake games a year. As a fan of an SEC team, everyone knows that the conference schedule is brutal, and if you can make it out with 2 or fewer losses you have a damn good team. Even with a cupcake thrown in.

Plus they are still exciting games to watch every week. Even on opening day.
They would be exciting if you are loyal to a specific team. I enjoying watching it for entertainment and to assess players who may be able to play on sundays. Hard to do that when the game is so unbalanced. But i can see why do it on occasion. I do think that bvs shohdl create a point system for the playoffs and teams accrue less points for playing no conference schools that arent power 5 or are nonranked. Then teams would probably weigh those cupcake games a little more judiciously knowing that those easy wins could hurt you down the road if another god team chose a tougher road. It would at least keep those games to 1 or 2 - many sec teams have 3 .

For the Record- This isnt my idea but from a YouTuber with a college football show but i like it and hope it picks up steam

They would be exciting if you are loyal to a specific team. I enjoying watching it for entertainment and to assess players who may be able to play on sundays. Hard to do that when the game is so unbalanced. But i can see why do it on occasion. I do think that bvs shohdl create a point system for the playoffs and teams accrue less points for playing no conference schools that arent power 5 or are nonranked. Then teams would probably weigh those cupcake games a little more judiciously knowing that those easy wins could hurt you down the road if another god team chose a tougher road. It would at least keep those games to 1 or 2 - many sec teams have 3 .

For the Record- This isnt my idea but from a YouTuber with a college football show but i like it and hope it picks up steam
Playoff committee does consider Head to head matchups, common opponents, strength of schedules etc to decide who goes to into the bracket

Playoff committee does consider Head to head matchups, common opponents, strength of schedules etc to decide who goes to into the bracket
I know, but its more discussion based and subjective and leaves the door open for bias. A point system is clear , open snd will prevent another Florida State issue (like last yr ) or would least reduce the public outrage of a controversial decision- committee members could simply point at the scorecard and say" maybe you should have thought about the points when you played kent state, mercer and ut martin."

In todays world of recruiting it also gives players at smaller schools to show their stuff against big school teams in hope of getting a offer to transfer

Very good explanation. Thank u for being the voice of reason.. probably why so many so called cup cakes are early on.

I think 2 cupcake games a season aren't unreasonable for the aforementioned reasons, and neither should they carry much weight when it comes to rankings.

They are usually early in the season, so enthusiasm is high after a year without college football, so still good revenue generators for both teams. Later in the season and folks will be less likely to want to watch.

But I do think the other 2 nonconference games a season should be against other power 5 conference teams. To me you look like a wussie if you schedule 3 or 4 nonconference cupcakes in a season. And you get mad props from me for putting GOOD nonconference power 5 teams on your schedule.

I think 2 cupcake games a season aren't unreasonable for the aforementioned reasons, and neither should they carry much weight when it comes to rankings.

They are usually early in the season, so enthusiasm is high after a year without college football, so still good revenue generators for both teams. Later in the season and folks will be less likely to want to watch.

But I do think the other 2 nonconference games a season should be against other power 5 conference teams. To me you look like a wussie if you schedule 3 or 4 nonconference cupcakes in a season. And you get mad props from me for putting GOOD nonconference power 5 teams on your schedule.
I agree. Seems Butch Jones would always have the first 2 games cupcakes and then sprinkle in a couple more. He seemed to be the worst offender

I agree. Seems Butch Jones would always have the first 2 games cupcakes and then sprinkle in a couple more. He seemed to be the worst offender
Jones and UT scheduled as many power 5 non conference games as any other SEC program or any other power 5 program did.

Vols scheduled some good games against some good Non SEC teams when Jones was the coach. Most schedules was done 4 to 5 years in advance back then, jones wouldn't had much say in who they played.

Jones Non SEC game.
Oregon year #1
Utah state and Oklahoma year #2
Oklahoma year #3
Virginia tech year#4

The year jones was playing Utah state and Oklahoma, Nick Saban was playing Florida Atlantic, Southern Mississippi, and Western Carolina. Just to show jones didn't have it any easier then anyone else.

Last edited:

You didn't enjoy that ODU-SC slobberknocker?

Jones and UT scheduled as many power 5 non conference games as any other SEC program or any other power 5 program did.

Vols scheduled some good games against some good Non SEC teams when Jones was the coach. Most schedules was done 4 to 5 years in advance back then, jones wouldn't had much say in who they played.

Jones Non SEC game.
Oregon year #1
Utah state and Oklahoma year #2
Oklahoma year #3
Virginia tech year#4

The year jones was playing Utah state and Oklahoma, Nick Saban was playing Florida Atlantic, Southern Mississippi, and Western Carolina. Just to show jones didn't have it any easier then anyone else.

I seem to remember Alabama playing some pretty big Opening Season games in the Chick-fil-A opener in Atlanta 2 or 3 years in a row not too long ago.

Latest posts

Back