• Help Support TNDeer:

cva optima help

I had got an optima for my son to use last year. I shot 100gn blackthorn with 200 gn shockwaves. This shot close to moa all day long, and was shooting right at 1900fps. I did not get the blackthorn breech plug as it shot well. I only ran about 40 shots through it. I would ditch the pellets & go loose powder. Blackthorn was nice as it was much cleaner then the others. Hope you get it figured out as an optima is a fine ml.

nothing against optimas but ive never seen one group worth a crap. I know of atleast 6 people who cant get them to group. They've tried powder, pellets, powerbelts, hornady, shockwaves, etc and never can.

a lot of the times its not the gun but the shooter/lack of knowledge.

90gr blackhorn209, 300gr powerbelt aerolite @ 100 yards. Thats a 1" bulls eye by the way.
DSCN5838.jpg

And topped off with a $30 barska huntmaster 3-9x40 scope.
DSCN5843.jpg

The one I traded off last month, and I had it for years, had the 29" barrel and liked the 245gr power belt hollow point with both 150 & 100gr charges. If you just going to shoot out to just over 100 yards I wouldn't waste the powder by using a 150 load. And remember if you going to sight it in to shoot out to 200 yards check where it hits at 50 and 100 after you get the 200 yd zero. The only reason I got rid of mine is cause I have gone back to side locks. They are more fun to shoot and 90% of them don't run and the other 10% has gravity helping them. Let the smoke roll and enjoy.

I have a CVA Optima that I bought last year that shoots nice groups at 100 yards with two 777 50 grain pellets and the Barns 250 gr TMZ. I haven't had any loading problems. I tried the Powerbelts and they didn't do as well in my rifle. It consistently shoots 1.5" three shot groups. The stainless barrel is really easy to clean up and the quick release breach plug is a nice bonus.

Latest posts

Back