• Help Support TNDeer:

deer jerky

Found it in my e-mail. Its "Wolverine Lodge Jerky".

Wolverine Lodge Jerky
5 lbs Venison
3/4 cup Soy Sauce
3/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
2 tsp Black Pepper
8 cloves Garlic – Pressed
1/2 tsp Powdered Onion
2 tsp Nutmeg
2 tsp Ginger
1 – 2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 Tbs Dark Brown Molasses
2 Tbs Raw Sugar
1/2 bottle of Chipotle Tabasco
3 capfuls of Meat Tenderizer

Heat the ingredients to melt the sugar and infuse the ingredients, however, do not bring them to a boil as the mixture will burn. Heat just enough to melt all the ingredients together.
Place the mixture in the freezer to cool, then add the meat.
Cover and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours

Notes:
This recipe does not use Sodium Nitrate, which virtually all commercial Jerky mixes utilize. Sodium Nitrate is a meat preservative. It is also a color fixative. If you compare Jerky using sodium nitrate to Jerky without it, you will notice the pinkish color of the sodium nitrate product. (Corned Beef also often has this pinkish color.) There does not appear to be any distinguishable taste difference between nitrate based Jerky and Jerky lacking nitrate, however, there is some research to suggest health issues associated with Sodium Nitrate. Likewise, there is research to indicate that there are no health risks associated with Sodium Nitrate.
Darker color of whole muscle Jerky made without Sodium Nitrate. The darker color appears to be the only distinguishable difference. However, Jerky made with Sodium Nitrate will have an extended shelf life. If you intend to store your jerky for long periods of time, this may be a option to consider, however, it is still likely overkill. I tend to make my jerky more on a "as needed" basis. By "as needed", I mean "I'm going rabbit hunting this weekend, so I need to make some jerky", or, "I need to make some Jerky for the fast approaching Spring Turkey season." You will know if your Jerky turns as it will have funky mold. Alton Brown suggest something in the neighborhood of 30-40 years and that's without a nitrate. You should be fine.

Dehydration time will vary depending on the thickness of your jerky, relative humidity in your home etc... but I generally start checking it around 5-6 hrs and every ~30 min's after that. I like to pull it just before it becomes brittle. You will likely want to pull some of the smaller pieces before the larger ones.

Poser offended the sensibilities of a couple mods, and they booted him. As for the "Go Carnivore" blog, he and his co-conspirator that ran it decided to give it up and not renew the domain when Poser moved to Colorado. Unfortunately, all their content seems to have gone with it. Poser isn't associated with the current version of the blog.

Latest posts

Back