• Help Support TNDeer:

Depth finder / fish finder

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Not sure what they are called nowadays. :D

What is the best one out there right now that would be $500.00 or less?
I really like the detail that you can see on the "down" imaging and I think after some (ALOT) training and reading up on it, the side imaging would be awesome to have.

Honestly, I will do some bass fishing but I mainly will be using the down imaging to spot bream or shellcracker beds in deeper water.

Just wondering what is out there, as I know nothing about them.

I have a cheaper unit on my kayak that I plan to upgrade soon. I can tell you what I've learned from using one. It's a Humminbird 561c I believe. Black and white sonar, dual cone. No SI or DI. First thing, immediately turn off the fish icons. They're inaccurate and you need to learn to read the sonar images, not rely on a fish icon to tell you the difference between a fish and a tree. Second, spend the money to get a color unit. I really regret not buying one. Black and white is good for locating brush piles and some structure but a lot of times it's hard to know exactly what I'm seeing below me. Could just be a giant ball of bait fish turning the screen black near the bottom, or it could be a rock. Color imaging shows the difference.

With a black and white unit you absolutely will not be able to locate panfish beds. With the fancy HD SI units you can and it's really cool. I've seen screenshots of the bottom of a lake just covered in beds. I know a guy who almost exclusively fishes for bluegills from his kayak. He locates beds that way and goes to each one dropping Trout Magnets and does really well with that technique. I don't think the DI will do much for you in terms of locating bluegill beds. It is a tremendous advantage when seeking out brush piles because some of them are so good you can see individual branches.

I use a humminbird 1199 for work and it's crazy to see bluegill beds on it. Looks like a giant golf ball with all the demples.

I know you set a price BUT wait and save to get as big as you can afford especially when you start talking SI, 360 Imaging and so forth.
Now that the new Helix series have come out in the 9-10" screens you can get the older versions such as 999, 1199 etc worth the money.

I bought two HB 999's just as the Helix 5 came out and could have saved a few bills.
Take the time and go to Bass Pro and you actually mess around with all of them.

Also Grizzly Jig in Caruthersville is having a crappie expo Jan. 28th, 29th and 30th with reps coming in to demo and help with devices plus door prizes!

I have a 386ci (2d) if you need something to get you by with all hardware Id loan you or sell cheap.

Down image isn't going to show you beds like you're wanting but side image will.

I have had both and currently run Humminbird. The side image is better in my opinion. The Lowrance is better in down image. The 2D is kinda a toss up. Again, only my opinion.

Humminbird is cheaper and made and serviced in the USA

Check out http://www.bbgmarine.com for what he has. I always buy from him and he always beats everyone else for everything I've bought. He is in Georgia and is a small business so you'll get your best deal CALLING HIM on the phone since he doesn't always keep his site updated. Just call him during regular hours since he's a one man show. First time I called years ago I woke him up... he still beat everyone else. Tell him you run TNDeer and he may cut you a deal. He advertises on a few local fishing forums. His name is Brian.

They are also doing away with the Humminbird core series so all left over units will soon be discounted if they aren't already. When they start dropping the price, Brian buys some of the units and sells them cheap. The Helix and Onix units are what they are going to... the helix being the cheaper. The Onix units are around $3000.

SilverFox":2wp09rx2 said:
Down image isn't going to show you beds like you're wanting but side image will.

I have had both and currently run Humminbird. The side image is better in my opinion. The Lowrance is better in down image. The 2D is kinda a toss up. Again, only my opinion.

Humminbird is cheaper and made and serviced in the USA

Check out http://www.bbgmarine.com for what he has. I always buy from him and he always beats everyone else for everything I've bought. He is in Georgia and is a small business so you'll get your best deal CALLING HIM on the phone since he doesn't always keep his site updated. Just call him during regular hours since he's a one man show. First time I called years ago I woke him up... he still beat everyone else. Tell him you run TNDeer and he may cut you a deal. He advertises on a few local fishing forums. His name is Brian.

Wow, you weren't kidding.
Right off the bat, according to his site he is almost $100 cheaper on the same unit.
Gonna call him Monday.

In my experience he's a good guy. Usually 2 days until it's on your door too. I'm sure if you search long enough you'll find someone not happy but everyone I know has been. I've sent him several people over the last couple years.

I agree bbgmarine has great prices! Thats who I bought from.
Fast and curtious, will do business again with him.

spottedbass":1y7kq41q said:
I really like my Lowrance units. I have a HDS-7 Gen 2 touch and a HDS-9 Gen 3. Here is one you should check out. It has both down and side scan. It is a new model unit that sales for $649. http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/ ... en-us.aspx

You have to have an additional $250-300 transducer for that unit to do side/down scan.

Yes, if he buys the unit that you linked him to he will have to buy an additional transducer for di/si readings. From the website they run $250 to $300.

If he buys one of the units you linked to now, he can save some money.

I bought a hummingbird down scan for my trolling motor for $182 and a lowerance elite 5hdi for $299 it has Gps,DI, and sonar

Back