• Help Support TNDeer:

Draw hunts…

Bone Collector

Seen a lot of posts on here about draws. I haven't been on as much due to work restricting access to the site, falling out of the habit of actually using my personal laptop, and not liking to look at webpages on my phone, so SORRY if this has been discussed.

I've heard rumblings for years that Presidents Island just isn't good anymore. I have like 12 points…. I know the October hunt is not good, but hearing December hunt isn't much better.

Question is where else is there that is a worthy use of those points??

Folks know what the secret low point draw is... im not one of them.

PI is getting to the point where it isn't worth wasting you 3d weekend on any longer. I quit putting in my kids for the draw 2y ago... 2 of them have 10 points. Better chance of killing a 140 on my farm than on PI. I'm still putting in... but not for PI. Doing it because it's free, and I'm hoping someday there will be another Hotspot and I'll have 20 points and guaranteed a draw.

Folks know what the secret low point draw is... im not one of them.

PI is getting to the point where it isn't worth wasting you 3d weekend on any longer. I quit putting in my kids for the draw 2y ago... 2 of them have 10 points. Better chance of killing a 140 on my farm than on PI. I'm still putting in... but not for PI. Doing it because it's free, and I'm hoping someday there will be another Hotspot and I'll have 20 points and guaranteed a draw.
That's my idea going forward. Putting for a point and hope some awesome opportunity comes available and I drawn.

I figured that someone would say Yuchi. The youth hunt is still great for kids. I'll burn my points on the adult hunt one last time next year (while still hoping that they eliminate the stupid regs) and start hunting somewhere else after that.

Yuchi has so much potential, but so much frustration at the same time:
-The land is very diverse, which I love, but they usually don't harvest the corn until after most of the hunts. The deer can then hunker down in the middle of the unhuntable corn and don't come out.
-A 2 day earn-a-buck hunt is stupid at best. I've given my explanations for this before.
-They provide poor direction and support for the hunt at the check-in station. You don't know if you are supposed to take a deer to them to check it in, or check it in on your phone first. And then they leave early both days.
-There was a LOT of outside traffic at last weekend's youth hunt, but they did nothing to curb that. People were out hollering and carrying on at the gazebo and the boat ramp, which are supposed to be closed during the two day hunt. I would not normally hunt where we did, but my son wanted to hunt a field, and that one had sign and the corn was not too high there. We only hunted there one sit

And, yes, I provide feedback to TWRA on this every year. I have also had numerous conversations with the WMA manager and workers there. So this is not just me griping on a message board in a vacuum

I figured that someone would say Yuchi. The youth hunt is still great for kids. I'll burn my points on the adult hunt one last time next year (while still hoping that they eliminate the stupid regs) and start hunting somewhere else after that.

Yuchi has so much potential, but so much frustration at the same time:
-The land is very diverse, which I love, but they usually don't harvest the corn until after most of the hunts. The deer can then hunker down in the middle of the unhuntable corn and don't come out.
-A 2 day earn-a-buck hunt is stupid at best. I've given my explanations for this before.
-They provide poor direction and support for the hunt at the check-in station. You don't know if you are supposed to take a deer to them to check it in, or check it in on your phone first. And then they leave early both days.
-There was a LOT of outside traffic at last weekend's youth hunt, but they did nothing to curb that. People were out hollering and carrying on at the gazebo and the boat ramp, which are supposed to be closed during the two day hunt. I would not normally hunt where we did, but my son wanted to hunt a field, and that one had sign and the corn was not too high there. We only hunted there one sit

And, yes, I provide feedback to TWRA on this every year. I have also had numerous conversations with the WMA manager and workers there. So this is not just me griping on a message board in a vacuum
They don't provide good information for pretty much any of the quota hunts.

When my brother in law drew an Oryx hunt last year on Ft Bliss, they sent him an entire book of information. Kinda disappointing.

I use to draw oak ridge every year with any problem at all. Sometimes it would be 3 different hunts. Usually went like this. 3 deer only one antlered. I'd usually get 2 of those hunts. And then a 3 doe only hunt. Got drawn like that for years every year. Then they closed it down. Once everyone with points started putting in for it. Haven't been able to draw it since. I had some really good spots over there. Seen some really big bucks at times. And plenty of doe's. But have no idea if it's any good nowadays.

Yuchi seems to be a good draw but I don't know if it's worth 10+ points
2023 Yuchi, 200 drawn hunters, 9 bucks (any size); 1 buck/22 hunters (excluded youth hunts).

2023 Presidents Island, 100 drawn hunters, 6 bucks (antler restricted); 1 buck/17 hunters.

As someone who spent 20 years hunting east TN draw hunts before moving to middle TN, there's no way I'd drive past a general season middle or west TN WMA to hunt an east TN quota hunt, unless you're looking for a specific experience (camping and hunting mountains for example). I'd hunt PI, ASAP, and then start hunting quota hunts that don't require a lot of points.

Latest posts

Back