• Help Support TNDeer:

Drew for Cheatham WMA (Both Gun Hunts) Need some help

harv418

For starters, I've hunted the last 12 years in Texas and Arkansas. My only experience with draw hunts is from Texas. There it was always, Gate opens at 11, Safety briefing from 11:15 to 12. Assigned zones by 12:30, then scout, hang, and hunt.

Seems I got drawn for both weeks of the Gun hunt at Cheatham. I've made one scouting trip so far. Anyone else heading that way? Will likely be camping during the week.

How are these drawn hunts ran?
What should I expect?
I'll still put boots on the ground and find my spots, but being a large unit, where to start?
Is there a designated camp ground, or is dispersed camping allowed?

Thanks in Advance - Harv

There's no safety orientation. Not sure when things technically open, but you used to be able to camp in the small fields by the ranger's home. If you've been there you know what you're dealing with terrain-wise. It's steep, it's thick, it's big, and most of it you're going to have to access on foot. It'll be busy but you can find areas without traffic.

There are antler restrictions so be sure to read up on that. If you're going to scout more in the mild weather watch out for snakes, there are a lot of them out there. Good luck! It's a fun place to wander around.

What "notgreg" said. I'll just add a little color commentary.

As mentioned there's camping in the field close to the manager house across from the archery range. I've never camped there, but there's usually several people camping. There's no checkin or start time. Just hunt on the days of the hunt.

After saying all that, there is a new manager. I wouldn't think he'd change anything, but you never know.

Good luck!

Back