• Help Support TNDeer:

Hunting The Cold and North Wind?

Wrangler95

As I've gotten older I tend to not get in a treestand if temp is in the 20's or low thirties,especially with a wind out of the north!I'm gonna buy a heated vest this year so it should be better!Just wondering if others get in a stand with cold temps and a north wind!I can take temp's in the 20's if wind is calm but the wind is what gets me out of a stand quickly!

I'm cold natured and get cold very easily. I invested in the sitka finatic set a couple years ago. Those dark to dark sits in frigid temps are no longer an issue. Pretty expensive but worth every penny.
I use the Sitka Stratus stuff and I know the fanatic line is supposed to be warmer but I've done pretty well so far with it. Have thought about a sleeping bag to climb in if necessary or one of the suits made like a sleeping bag. If it's miserably cold and windy I don't think the deer move much either.

As I've gotten older I tend to not get in a treestand if temp is in the 20's or low thirties,especially with a wind out of the north!I'm gonna buy a heated vest this year so it should be better!Just wondering if others get in a stand with cold temps and a north wind!I can take temp's in the 20's if wind is calm but the wind is what gets me out of a stand quickly!
Start with a good base layer. IMO if you don't get that right it doesn't matter how much you spend on your outer layers, you'll still get cold. Merino wool has been a game changer for me.

I have in the past but I will admit the thoughts of something snapping in the colder temps run through my mind during most of my hunt. I can usually dress for the cold but if there's wind that makes it challenging. I take an old wool army blanket and a couple of spring clamps and attach around the tree to help block the dominant wind.

I won't miss it. Look forward to it. Have good clothes mainly I have a great base layer and it's not bad. I'm kind of a hot nature person, the older I get the more that goes away. But We kill a lot of our deer year in and year out on cold front with north winds we are set up for them so can't miss them. If I wasn't tagged out 2 year ago with that artic blast I would have been in a tree.

Used to be I could handle it, and the cold didn't really bother me, even with stiff north winds. Think the meds I was on for blood pressure really made a difference and it only got worse handling the cold as the problems with my heart progressed and as they increased dosages. I can still tolerate 20 if the wind chill isn't terrible, but if the wind chill is bad I just can't handle it like I used to.

I've got sets of varying weight. My lighter stuff is 150 or 200 grams. My First Lite Furnace set is 350 grams. It's got to be awful chilly for me to bust them out, and when I do I wear one of the lighter sets under them.
If I may ask, where did you get those 350s? The one piece of layering I DON'T have is Marino wool. I'm looking at getting a set.

If I may ask, where did you get those 350s? The one piece of layering I DON'T have is Marino wool. I'm looking at getting a set.
I got my stuff straight from First Lite. They don't sell in stores so read the sizing chart and all the reviews about fit. If they are not the correct size then send them back rather quickly for the correct size.

Has anyone here ever used a diving suit?

I've often wondered?

I tried my wetsuit vest over a thermal shirt. Worked great for about 30 minutes. Then perspiration started to accumulate. Got wet then cold. Doesn't breathe so you get sweaty and wet = cold.

It works pretty good if you are active. Went snow skiing with a wetsuit vest over a T-shirt under a light wind breaker. As long as I was bombing down the hills I was warm as could be. By the time I got to the top of the lift I was freezing again.

Latest posts

Back