• Help Support TNDeer:

Hunting The Cold and North Wind?

Wrangler95

As I've gotten older I tend to not get in a treestand if temp is in the 20's or low thirties,especially with a wind out of the north!I'm gonna buy a heated vest this year so it should be better!Just wondering if others get in a stand with cold temps and a north wind!I can take temp's in the 20's if wind is calm but the wind is what gets me out of a stand quickly!

I'm cold natured and get cold very easily. I invested in the sitka finatic set a couple years ago. Those dark to dark sits in frigid temps are no longer an issue. Pretty expensive but worth every penny.
I use the Sitka Stratus stuff and I know the fanatic line is supposed to be warmer but I've done pretty well so far with it. Have thought about a sleeping bag to climb in if necessary or one of the suits made like a sleeping bag. If it's miserably cold and windy I don't think the deer move much either.

As I've gotten older I tend to not get in a treestand if temp is in the 20's or low thirties,especially with a wind out of the north!I'm gonna buy a heated vest this year so it should be better!Just wondering if others get in a stand with cold temps and a north wind!I can take temp's in the 20's if wind is calm but the wind is what gets me out of a stand quickly!
Start with a good base layer. IMO if you don't get that right it doesn't matter how much you spend on your outer layers, you'll still get cold. Merino wool has been a game changer for me.

I have in the past but I will admit the thoughts of something snapping in the colder temps run through my mind during most of my hunt. I can usually dress for the cold but if there's wind that makes it challenging. I take an old wool army blanket and a couple of spring clamps and attach around the tree to help block the dominant wind.

I won't miss it. Look forward to it. Have good clothes mainly I have a great base layer and it's not bad. I'm kind of a hot nature person, the older I get the more that goes away. But We kill a lot of our deer year in and year out on cold front with north winds we are set up for them so can't miss them. If I wasn't tagged out 2 year ago with that artic blast I would have been in a tree.

Back